Flash keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Teddy, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Teddy

Teddy Guest

#1 Teddy, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
    I'm using Chromium on Mint Cinnamon 17.3, and every time I visit a webpage with flash ads, it freezes and flash crashes, this keeps going on until I close the webpage. Any clues? Everything is updated. The flash player is the new version 20. When I check chrome://plugins it shows it as version 11.2 and when right clicking on a flash object it shows as version 20, don't know why, but the constant crashing is getting annoying.
    --
    OK so I removed chromium and installed chrome from Google, I also installed the proprietary AMD driver over the open source, still saying 'shockwave flash plug in is not responding : stop the plugin' then I click stop so it says it crashed. There must be some way to fix this.

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Install "HTML5 video everywhere" to be used instead of flash and you should be trouble free. I use this extension with firefox and iceweasel and I have to problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    it actually is part of solution..
    flash is almost abandonware!

4. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Probably not the answer your looking for, but have you considered Pale Moon browser as an alternative?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Mint and Google aren't exactly best buddies - so I doubt whether Chrome was even properly tested...BTW what does Google bring to the party anyway?

7. moon510

moon510 MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    #7 moon510, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    I had the same problem but with Firefox. I solved it by editing a configuration file of Flash player.. The file path is:
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg

At the end, just add the following line without quotes:

"ProtectedMode=0"

I hope this will be helpful.

Sorry I didnt see it was for Linux..

8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Thanx but as you say that's Windows... not gonna help much - I'll look for that file though and see what's in it.

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    the only reason i would use chrome.. not chromium is to sign in to get my settings n stored pass on other pc chrome example if i work on other pc and saved a log in to a site.. it would autofill on chrome if you are signed in

10. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Hey Latin, is that not a two-edged (pun) sword tho' - having your personal data saved in the cloud ( ala MSA)... altho' firefox also has it - just you have to click on the text box first to get the option to fill.

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011