Flashing Asus P5LP-LE (HP) BIOS to ASUS P5LD2-VM DH BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jsbarone, May 23, 2010.

1. jsbarone

jsbarone MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2010
    Hi.

I got a computer for free from work. It's an HP Media Center PC with an Intel e4400 in it. I'd like to make some modifications to the computer (Overclocking, etc) but the BIOS is locked down. I've tried everything to unlock it to no avail. From my research I discovered that the motherboard inside, an Asus P5LP-LE is for all intents and purposes the exact same motherboard as the Asus P5LD2-VM DH.

Some internet people have reported success at flashing the P5LP-LE with the P5LD2-VM, thereby unlocking all the features I'd like access to. I want to do this, and yes I know it's risky. I have a few problems.

I've tried just about every single method I've been able to find (afudos, winflash, aflash, awardflash, etc) but have not been able to flash the bios on this board with the P5LD2 BIOS. I was barely able to reflash (for testing) the existing BIOS, but managed to do so using Winflash. Most utilities claim that the BIOS is write protected (all except Winflash) and that it cannot be written. Winflash allowed me to flash with the stock BIOS, but gave me an error message stating that the aftermarket BIOS I was trying to use was a different size.

I could use some help flashing this. If I can't flash it I am just going to get a cheap Gigabyte motherboard and move the system over to that, but I'm hoping I don't have to. I figure there has to be a way. Help? I am running Windows 7 64 Bit. 2GB of Ram, 320GB hard drive.

Thanks.

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 NoJuan999, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
    It won't work.
    The HP - ASUS P5LP-LE uses an HP Modified AWARD Bios, the ASUS P5LD2-VM DH uses an AMI Bios.
    I'm pretty sure you would BRICK That MB if you actually got it to flash at all.

3. jsbarone

jsbarone MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2010
    Thanks for the response. Is there anything I can do to make this motherboard work for me?

4. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    If the features are Not available to be unlocked in that OEM Bios then there's really nothing you can do.

5. jsbarone

jsbarone MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2010
    So it's impossible that it would work switching from an Award Bios to an AMI Bios? The hardware is exactly the same. If so, what's with all the people who have supposedly gotten this to work? At this point I have a motherboard that is useless to me, so I don't care what happens to it. I'm willing to try anything.

Also, is there absolutely no way to modify the existing manufacturers bios to "unlock" the missing features? By hitting F11 (instead of the normal bios entry key of f1) I get a few extra options, but not to the extent I'm looking for. Thanks again for the advice.

6. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009