Flashing Bios with a .F8 extention?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by rivitingtwo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. rivitingtwo

rivitingtwo MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    I downloaded this modded bios file found on post 1381 of the "All Slics 2.1 (Modded Bios List) - Note: For requests use 'Bios Mod Requests' section" thread.

I am not sure what to do next however. The file ext seems to be .f8 but that doesn't seem correct. I've read a bunch of threads but all I've gotten is more confused.

The computer is made from parts, not a brand name but the modded bios is for my motherboard. I just need to know what.how to flash it to my bios I guess?

Also, are slics backwards compatible or is the 2.1 only valid with Win 7? My appologies if these are stupid issues.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Sounds like a Gigabyte mainboard..all their extensions are F#...You are fine, and if the board is GB..Use the flashspi from the download.

I hope you have a brand name for the Mainboard..:D

OEM is like Dell, HP, etc..Custom or home built are put together at home..all have namebrand boards, most OEM use a variant from MSI, ASUS, DFI, Shuttle, etc..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Never use @bios i have a very bad experience with it. I used it last year and my pc had problems with booting (it couldnt pass bios and it shut down and restarted). After flashing from dos using usb flash drive all my problems are gone. Use the tools in the 7-zip file from gigabyte

4. josephus

josephus MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2009
    #5 josephus, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
    I agree. The company often recommends Qflash, which is better.

The DOS flash utility doesn't seem to be available any more from their website, including the link given above by Everilda. If somebody has it, perhaps it would be a good idea to post it up here somewhere for other people to us. Also, I am not sure if the DOS flash utility would work with the standard Gigabyte BIOS files ending with .F#. I think it was a bundle containing other stuff, but I can't remember for sure.

5. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  6. rivitingtwo

rivitingtwo MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    Thanks a lot everyone. I wasn't honestly expecting much of an answer so I was quite suprised when I had to keep scrolling down through some great info!