Flashing Modded BIOS on Compaq V2403NR

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by bluecatfish, Mar 16, 2010.

1. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Question asked in another thread but no response.
    I have a Compaq Presario V2403NR laptop that has no floopy drive and can not boot from USB key. I flashed the laptop with the latest Compaq BIOS, F.22, and then I extracted and modded the original downloaded F.22 BIOS using the HP[HPQOEMSLIC-CPC-MSFT]2.1.BIN and COMPAQ-HP.XRM-MS certificate from the Phoenix tool. I ran the tool with a RW report on the two .WPH files extracted from the BIOS, 308FF221.WPH and 308FF222.WPH.

After running the tool I had four files,308ff221_SLIC.WPH, 308ff222_SLIC.WPH, BIOSCOD1.ROM and BIOSCOD1_SLIC.ROM. If these 4 files look right can I just copy them to the extracted sp32663 folder and use WinPhflash to flash the BIOS with the modded BIOS files? Or is there some way of doing it in DOS, such as with a CD, which I feel more comfortable doing?

I did the modding on my Windows 7 computer. I have OEM Windows XP Professional on the Compaq V2403NR laptop. Do I need to load Windows 7 on the laptop before flashing with the modded BIOS?

Thanks for any help.
    bluecatfish

2. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009
    Can anyone answer my questions?

Before flashing I would rename the .wph files to the original file names. If it bricked my MB is there a way to recovery with a recovery CD since the laptop will not boot from USB and I do not have a floppy drive?

3. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009
    Can anyone answer my questions?

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Just copy these files to the folder..renamed of course...[308ff221_SLIC.WPH, 308ff222_SLIC.WPH] rename [308ff221.WPH, 308ff222.WPH]

Flash as you wish...

As far as recovery, I think you will have to see if that happens...I have not seen bricks from these mods done properly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009
    Thanks for answering 911medic! Flashed modded BIOS with no problems. Checked with SLIC Dump Toolkit and have SLIC2.1. Before flashing I did do an upgrade from XP to Vista and then an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. Now I will see if I can get it activated.