Flashing with modified BIOS, what are the risks?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Banana Joe, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Banana Joe

Banana Joe MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    I´m thinking of flashing my BIOS with one modified by myself, using the tools available. I want to activate Windows 7 without loader, and there´s no SLIC table in my BIOS (built the box myself). The process to modify the BIOS was not hard at all, thanks to the detailed instructions posted here. I´ve made two versions, one with HP stuff and the other with Dell. It is a Gigabyte P35 DS4 rev. 2.0 motherboard with Award BIOS. I´m an experienced computer techie and must have flashed hundreds of BIOS during the years, and i´ve not had one single bricked motherboard.

My question is, will flashing with my modified BIOS mean that the risk of bricking the mobo is bigger than flashing with a genuine BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer? What bad things can occur? If the flashing is reported successful, can the mobo still be bricked? And if the flashing reports unsuccessful without bricking the mobo, can i flash it back to original BIOS without problem?

I know that for example a power outage during flashing can do really bad things, but if nothing like that occurs, is flashing with a "homemade" BIOS as "safe" as flashing with a genuine one?

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    As long as the BIOS was modded with success (and verified) you should be fine.
    Since you have previously flashed bios's then you know what to do.

Anytime you flash your BIOS even if it's a "stock" Bios there is always a chance of it getting bricked. Just be sure you paid your electric bill :D

3. TeeCupp

TeeCupp MDL Junior Member

Aug 8, 2009
    As stated use at your own risk if you follow the out lined details neede to flash you be ok read up all topics have said files to hand and flash on mains power.
    If possile use a mod for your PC thats been tested and working if you dont want to do the mod yourself.
    Good luck. ;)

4. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
  5. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Is your motherboard a dual bios board with Qflash?

On my board I usually flash the backup bios and set the board to boot from the backup bios to test. If it all works OK you can then overwrite the main bios with the backup bios and set the boot back to the main bios.

On one bios I modified using Andy P's Award tool, the tool said the Slic was successfully inserted into the bios, but when I tried to flash the bios the motherboard beeped and then automatically overwrote the bad backup bios with the good main bios.

I finally successfully flashed this baord with a slightly older bios version, FJ instead of FK.

6. Ipmark

Ipmark MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    What about the Bootblock flash option?
    If I flash bios without flash bootblock, what's happen?
    The process is more safer, or it is necessary flash the entire bios?

I can't find detailed documentation about flash option of Awardlash.exe.
    Can someone help me?

7. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    As long as you don't flash the bootblock you should be fine. In case not, you have a good chance of recovery 'cause you have a working bbl.

8. Banana Joe

Banana Joe MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    Thank you for VERY helpful answers from all of you!

My BIOS modding went totally flawless and produced two successful moddings with no error messages whatsoever, according to the Award Mod Tool (great piece of software btw) so i assume they are OK. And i always pay my electrical bill in time, but the quality of the power delivery in the country where i live right now are.........not the best, so to speak :)

I DO have the F14 BIOS version and i do have the recovery option enabled, so hopefully that will help if somethings goes wrong. My mobo is a DualBios board and i´ve so far only used the Qflash function to flash, works very well.

Well, i feel more confident now after your answers, guys. I´ll probably do a fresh install this weekend and then flash. Then eagerly wait for suitable OEM-SLP keys. No immediate hurry though, rearm will take me through the long hours of waiting if necceassary. Thanks again!

9. Banana Joe

Banana Joe MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    Success! Flashed the BIOS today with my modified F14 version, and now Everest reports OEM ID Dell and OEM ID table QA09! Thanks a million for the excellent Award BIOS Mod tool!

10. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Gigabyte boards have a backup bios (at least the new ones, dont know if older board have it). My mobo from gigabyte (X48-DQ6) has a quad bios and if i f**k up the bios the second bios will recover the first one. So i am pretty safe :cool:

11. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I flashed many devices in my life (mobile phones, bios, video cards, dvd+rw...), and none were bricked due to wrong flash, anyway my strategy is to flash only after having read much how to recover from a bad flash...

I modded 2 computers with gigabyte mobo's successfully, because i know that gigabyte have good recovery methods from bad flashes, but my second was a bit risky as the recovery method requires a floppy and i had no floppies at home :)

12. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Check vendor website for detail to make sure there are no other issue.

for e.g my motherboard bios once flash to the newer version it cannot go back to the other version

"The motherboard cannot flash older BIOS files once you update the BIOS with the latest BIOS version."

13. mbg19

mbg19 MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    When i bought my gigabyte motherboard and it said dual bios i was like like i would ever need dual bios lol