Flex RAM disk in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rEApEAt, Apr 12, 2014.

1. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I have received a new machine at work with Windows 7 Professional x64 (OEM) preinstalled.

It came with a single RAM stick (8 GB), and because the processor (i5-3330) is Flex capable, I have put in it a 2 GB stick of Kingston Value RAM that was getting dust at my home.

Both sticks have the same voltage, frequency and even timmings, and the combo is working really great. Now I have 4 GB of RAM running in dual channel and the remaining 6 GB running in single channel.

Is there any way to create a 2 GB RAM disk in the superior region of RAM? I mean, is possible to create the RAM disk in such a way that it would occupy a portion of the remaining single channel RAM, and not the first 4 GB that run in dual channel?

I know that the difference between dual channel and single channel is not abyssal; anyway, if I could create the RAM disk in the single channel portion of the RAM it would be, of course, the best solution.

At home I use SoftPerfect RAM Disk with excellent results. I'm willing to ask this question to its author, but before bothering him with a weird and maybe hopeless question, I would like to know what you guys would say. :eek:

2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    mb gavotte ramdisk utility? have not played with ramdisks since mdos 5.0 and 80286es.. :D for what that is worth now..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. philexile

philexile MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2014
    Ha, I used to use ramdisks to speed up Photoshop back in the late 90s. It sorta worked.... :p

4. compstuff

compstuff MDL Senior Member

Jan 16, 2011
    #4 compstuff, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Sorry can't help with your answer (not familiar with "flex capable") but for the record I use SoftPerfect RamDisk om my i7-2720QM with 16G Ram and my results are AMAZING... my integration and compiling times are off the charts and since I also have an SSD copy from one to the other is BLAZING fast!!! I could never go back after using this now :D