floppy drive A error

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by pumphead, Mar 28, 2009.

1. pumphead

pumphead MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2009
    i have just today bought a philips HEPC 7602 computer when i got it home i plugged it all in pressed the power button and it boots for a couple of seconds and then says "floppy drive A error System halt" and just stops there and just beeps but this system does not have a floppy drive ive tried getting into the BIOS to try and change the settings for the floppy drive but i can not get into the BIOS to do so.

any help would be appreciated:)

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    BIOS Setup

Are you saying that you hit the delete (or other) key during the POST to enter into the BIOS setup and you cannot? If yes, try to reset the CMOS by either removing the battery for 5 minutes, shorting out the CMOS jumper, or both.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pumphead

pumphead MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2009
    i have tried this to day but still no luck just the same error i have also tried plugging in a floppy drive and it does get passed this error but now just before the screen where it loads windows it stops and all there is on the screen is a flashing line in the top left and i still cannot get into the bios when i click the button to get into them it also comes back with this line any ideas of what is happening?:confused::confused::confused:

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    BIOS setup

When you first turn the machine on, do you see the BIOS logo (Phoenix, AMI, etc) BIOS version info, maybe amount of installed RAM ticking off? If yes and you press/hold the DEL key you cannot enter the BIOS setup?

1. I have no idea what is going.
    2. One thing you can try is to unplug EVERYTHING from your mobo - except the CPU, CPU fan, the 20- or 24-pin mobo power cable, and the 4- or 8-pin CPU power cable, if present. Then plug in ONLY: one RAM stick; HDD that contains OS; display adapter IF your mobo does not have integrated video; case speaker cable; power switch cable. Attach/connect NOTHING else - no other cables, fans, optical drives, sound card, modem, second HDD, etc. - NOTHING.

What you want is to have nothing but the bare essentials connected to see if system boots - that's all we are looking for. If it does, then reconnect/install one device or cable at a time; still boot? Yes, then attach another, etc., etc., until you either attach everything (and it still boots) or you attach a component and it freezes - identifying a defective component/attachment.

In the interim, I will make some queries and see if I can find some possibilities and maybe someone here will have experienced the issue and suggest a fix.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #5 HMonk, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
    BIOS setup

Possibilities

Try turning on your machine and immediately press - AND HOLD - the DEL key. Can you get to the BIOS setup to disable the floppy controller? (May receive keyboard error - press F1 to continue -then press DEL key.)

Take the battery out; leave it out for 5-10 minutes; DO NOT put the battery back and turn machine on; press or hold down DEL key.

EDIT: I am assuming that it is the DEL key that gets you into the BIOS setup; do you have a user manual that can confirm this?

Monk

6. ade

ade MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2009
    ade

HI not sure if its much help. If you are using a usb or wireless keyboard you might have more luck geting into the Cmos Using a PS2 keyboard if you have one about.

Good Luck..