floppy drive help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lumpy4900, Apr 18, 2011.

1. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    I have reinstalled win 7. My computer does not have a floppy drive. Never did. 7 has installed one, problem is even if I go to set up and turn it off and then device manager and uninstall as soon as the computer restarts it says found new hardware and it is back. So. am I leaving something out in the quest to banish my ghost floppy drive that isnt there but for some reason the program thinks it see's one. Have done this with xp on this computer many times and it has never reinstalled the drive. So, I am guessing its something on seven I am not aware of that needs removed or changed.

2. tlstls

tlstls MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Look in the BIOS for the floppy drive option and disable it.

3. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    But he has no driver diskette, then not show up in Bios...

@lumpy4900
    There is another driver?
    Post image?

4. tlstls

tlstls MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    The controller can be enabled even if you don't have a floppy drive, hence why it could be appearing in the devices list.

5. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #5 zahnoo, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    tlstls is correct. A floppy device can be enable in CMOS Setup even if there is no physical drive attached to the motherboard.

Conversely, it can be physically attached and disabled in CMOS Setup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    I feel pretty stupid. as soon as I seen this I realized I was uninstalling the floppy drive and leaving the controller installed. :eek: Thanks, problem solved. I swear I go brain dead some times.

7. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I can't begin to count the times I've put my foot in my mouth or just gone blank. We all do it because "To err is human....." so don't think you've cornered the market. After all, only worms and snakes can't stumble and fall. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    I been reading so much lately and trying new things that I seem to be over thinking the little stuff. Maybe I am like kelly bundy on married with children. Every new fact I put in deletes an old one. :biggrin: