Folder always being re-ordered once open

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by prixone, Sep 17, 2018.

1. prixone

prixone MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I have one folder that is pretty much media files, which contains 405 files, 7 folders, a total of 287GB.

I have set that folder to view large icons and sort by date ascending.

Every time I open this folder the items inside of it are out of order(by that I mean out of the order I have set above) and windows will re-order once I open it, every time which is very annoying, I did not have this issue on windows 7.

I have tried to set that folder to be index as well as not index to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help...

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Firstly, Windows (valid for Vista - W10, for XP it is only 400 by default) can remember folder setting only for 5000 folders and not for every folder, but only for specific folder groups, so if You want to use, must make new folders group and store these files there.
    Second. If You want to store setting for group, You must select this group, open folder settings, select use the settings for all folder in this group and click apply.
    Third. Sometimes it is not enough and You must increase BagMRU Size from 5000 to 10000. Usually in Windows 10 this key at all is missing and it means that You must add it Yourself.
    It should be in this place:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    If it isn't there, make in the right side pane, right click > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value > Name it BagMRU Size
    If done, clik on it, select Decimal and type 10000 (or in the Hexadecimal base type 2710). Click OK. Reboot.
    If even this won't help, must check for Windows health, if needed repair and clean up.

You may also check these keys and values:
    The NoSaveSettings registry value in the following registry subkey does not equal to 1:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

(already checked, if You followed above given)
    Additionally, the BagMRU Size registry value in the following registry subkey does not exist or is less than 5000:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

The highest subkey number in the following registry subkey is greater than 20% of the BagMRU Size registry value:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. prixone

prixone MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2015
    Thanks for the reply...

I guess I should start by saying Its a fresh install of windows 10, barely a day old.

The count was 345 when running the command:

Code:
    PS C:\Users\admin> ((gp "HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU").Nodeslots).count
    The registry "BagMRU Size" did not exist, I've created it, but have one question, does it really have a space between "BagMRU" and "Size" or it should be just "Size" inside the registry folder "BagMRU"?

Further in, the registry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" was non-existing as well, should make it? which value?

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #4 kaljukass, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. prixone

prixone MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2015
    Yeah really weird indeed i'm not even at 1k out of the 5k default, regardless I did the above mentioned changed, unhappily the issue remains...

Thanks for trying to figure it out, I am as well looking more into it...

In regards your other links some of them are completely unrelated it seems as they are focusing on the "window location and size" on the screen instead of their inner contents("files").