Folder containing only pictures causes system to freeze.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by smith454, Apr 7, 2015.

1. smith454

smith454 MDL Novice

May 29, 2013
    Hi everyone, so there's this folder on my windows 8 laptop that whenever I open, the system freezes. The folder contains only pictures and the system doesn't freeze immediately I open the folder. The thumbnails for the first set of pictures will load without issues but when I try to scroll down to view other pictures, the system starts loading the thumbnails and then freezes. Only a restart can rescue the PC when it freezes. Is there anything I can do to stop this freezing?

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Check event logs, see if there is anything around the time of the freeze to help

-
    Make another folder full of a similar amount of different pics, and see if it freezes with that too, if not, there might be a corrupted file in that original folder

3. smith454

smith454 MDL Novice

May 29, 2013
    I'm about to ask a very lame question.. how do I check the event logs?

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Not lame, click start: in the search box enter: Event Viewer

Check Windows Logs > System

Or if you're not using a start menu replacement, type it into the start screen search box

Or right click the start button, and choose Event Viewer

5. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  6. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    #6 OldMX, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Create a new folder, move everything from old folder to new one via command prompt with admin rights, see if it still freezes.

Code:
    move c:\oldfolder\*.* c:\newfolder

7. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I would change the folder view from icons to list or details..see if I could browse the folder then..maybe Thumbs.db can be deleted also

8. Mr.Sir

Mr.Sir MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2015
    hey dude, I had the same problem.the fix is simple.

In the folder's properties, select the "customize" tab and select "General Items" in the drop down box for the "optimize this folder for:" option. click apply & OK. also select to include any sub folders with pics in them. that should work. i had this problem with my folder full of 70s and 80s non-silicon centerfold scans. :D