Folder in use bug in windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by EarlZ, Aug 9, 2009.

1. EarlZ

EarlZ MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Occasionally when i delete folders or transfer files ( over writing them ) to a new folder i get a windows message that the folder is in use, even though i dont have anything running/used in that folder.. the same goes for deleting my own folders i have to repeatedly hit refresh till it allows me to delete the folder or it deletes by it self.

2. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    yea for some reason win 7 likes to hold on the folders/files open longer than xp
    if you wait for it a bit you can usually delete it

sometimes it says i dont have enough permission to delete it which is weird....
    its my computer...if i dont have permission to delete it..who does?

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    its not a bug, it has to do with thumbnail views and the thumbs.db file

4. EarlZ

EarlZ MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    With that said, it is a bug since its trying to cache something on that folder w/c is taking a long time.. Vista never had this problem.

5. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Cacheing is not a bug. Even if it is slow, that does not mean it is a bug. It means it is not optimised.

6. EarlZ

EarlZ MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    What im trying to say is that why is it caching a folder about to be modified, why is this happening only with 7 and not with vista, this bug is easily reproable. When a delete/move/rename command is issues the OS should give way to those command first rather than caching.

7. drone_pilot

drone_pilot MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    used to use Unlocker all the time. Its a pretty good app. I'll go back to using it if it works on Win7. Alternatively some times using the take control command from the orbit crack that you can install as a context menu works too.

8. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Actually Unlocker does not work properly with Win 7 (with x64 anyways), so i am now using FileAssassin from the makers of Malwarebytes. Works pretty much the same way as Unlocker.

9. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    I can confirm that.It simply refuses to show up in context menu :( .Hope they make a new version.In the meantime ill go search for manual registry entries to have it working in contect menu...