followed tips to slim down H.D. and I gained 3 GB more! Why this happens?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tomo, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Tomo

Tomo MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2008
    #1 Tomo, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    Hello, you experts in the know, please help me.

I followed all the tips on the My Digital Life site to shed unnecessary files
    from my Vista.

When I deleted the Shadow Copy, it dramaically reduced my free H.D. space
    (about 25GB) but then after I strenuously deleted little files (from Repository, from example and other files), I found my computer gained
    3 GB. I really do not understand this. Where did they come? I did install some new little softs like Take Ownership and Wise Cleaner which was recommended on the website, but they should not add up to more a than a few MB, let alone 3 GB.

Please enlighten me.

2. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    lol. you obviously didn't do something right. completely turning off the services related, deleting their files, clearing the recycle bin, and temp directories are essential.

ive never had this problem, so...

3. Tomo

Tomo MDL Novice

Sep 8, 2008
    Thank you very much for the reply. You know what? I shed the said 3 GB without doing much, gain.

My guess is that there is a certain timelag or delay with
    the Vista's information on the state of my computer, this is delay could be up to 2 or 3 days. And also, it seems that this information on free space responds too strongly to a few MBs gain and loss from your HD. So we shouldnt take it too serious what Vista says about HD. Well this is the conclusion I made.

Thank you for your reply though.