For A BSOD To An Interesting Workaround.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by AndyDS, Dec 17, 2008.

1. AndyDS

AndyDS MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2008
    #1 AndyDS, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
    Hey guys, I have had this problem ever since I dissarmed my computer (took out the motherboard, graphics card, and EVERYTHING). It's a problem that every time I apply a crack for Vista, the computer restarts itself (and that's fine, because that is supposed to happen), but after it restarts, windows won't boot up. It tries, but a blue screen appears for like half a second and then it restarts, so I can't even read the error message.

Before I took out the pieces of my computer and put them together again, I could always that freaking crack to activate Vista, but now, I have the problem I mentioned above.

I have tried a myriad of cracks (most of the activators that come on Amit's pack), and all of them cause me the same problem. I have no idea what could be causing this, but I believe I touched something in the BIOS when I was cleaning the computer parts, but I am not sure. Also, I burned my floppy lector, but I don't think that matters.

If you are going to help me, please bare with me and tell me the basics. I know a lot about computers, but my knowledge with hardware and the BIOS itself is quite limit, so you may need to tell me how to check my BIOS, how to flash it if necessary, and such.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

---

That's a post I made on another site a while ago. I now know that the BSOD says the following:

And that BSOD is annoying. I tried many Vista cracks with the same result, but then I found an interesting workaround:

I install the crack (VistaLoader 2.1.2), and since it gives me that error, I managed to use this tool burned in a CD to load Vista.
    But it's annoying workaround, because I have to boot the disc before the OS.

Is there something I could do get over this? While I can boot Vista, the method is annoying.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    So the crack worked before without BSOD?
    Could it be that you have changed some bios settings in the meantime, like set it to default?
    I know that error message. We get the same at WoW6 project. Cracks are using different routines to patch different ACPI table configurations.

NOW you've got a configuration that seems difficult to patch.
    WoW6 is 'our' softpatch, it uses a bootimage as well. We've got the possibility to integrate it into the boot process. (Installer version)

-Have a look at your bios settings. Try to enable ACPI 2.0 support and retry the crack.

-You may try WoW6 patch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AndyDS

AndyDS MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2008
    My apologies, in what setting of the BIOS will find the ACPI support?

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
    I don't know if it's present, it's a guess. At newer bioses it is usually present. You may browse through the menu to find it. Additionally you may consult your Mainboard's manual to locate it.

Btw: A link to your bios could be helpful. At Award bioses I'm able to have a look at the menu structure myself. (using modbin)

Edit: What about the APIC (not ACPI) settings? Enabled?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I had a look at the manual. The only setting that alters the Acpi table config is:
    ACPI HPET Table
    Use this item to enable or disable ACPI HPET Table. The default value is
    [Disabled]. Please set this option to [Enabled] if you plan to use this
    motherboard to submit Windows® VistaTM certification.

Does it make the patch work now?

6. AndyDS

AndyDS MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2008
    You my sir are the only person in god-knows-how-many sites that actually fixed my problem. Not only that, but in a straightforward manner.
    Thanks a lot, Vista is working more than fine now.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Glad that it worked for you. Enjoy.