Force BIOS flash on Dell Studio XPS 1645

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by deosola, Jun 11, 2014.

1. deosola

deosola MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2014
    Is it possible to force a BIOS flash on my Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptop? I had problems with a BIOS update which I performed because I put in a new motherboard. That update used the BIOS update exe from Dell for BIOS A13 but I got an error message saying "BIOS update failed! Image verification failed. Error code -200"

Now my computer will only boot up if the computer was shut down less than 8 hours ago. My guess is that the issue is with the BIOS but the Dell BIOS update program won't let me update the BIOS.

Can I force a BIOS update? How?

2. deosola

deosola MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2014
    How can you tell if BIOS flash worked???

I apologize for yet another thread related to my BIOS issue but all the posts are different questions.

I updated my Dell Studio XPS 1645 to BIOS A13. But the update had an error message ("BIOS update failed! Image verification failed. Error code -200")

It will only boot up properly if the computer was shut down less than 8 hours prior. Otherwise, the boot up freezes which requires me to force a shut down and boot in safe mode.

Does this mean I have a BIOS issue? How can I tell if the BIOS is the issue? When I check the system, it does show that I have BIOS A13

3. deosola

deosola MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2014
    Will procedure to flash BIOS on bricked Dell Laptop force a BIOS Flash

When I try to flash a BIOS on my Dell Studio XPS 1645, I get a message from the Phlash BIOS update from that Dell uses saying the BIOS version currently on the laptop is either the same or higher than the BIOS version I want to use. But because I believe that I have a BIOS issue w/my current version (got an error saying, "BIOS update failed! Image verification failed. Error code -200"), can I use the process outlined by wuhoatu on 2/21/10 in post named "Dell XPS Studio 1640 Bios update problems through Phoenix Recovery" allow me to force a BIOS update?

The reason I ask is because even though the process outlined by wuhoatu (which I am not allowed to link to) is for a bricked computer, it still appears to use the Phlash BIOS program which 1st check to see if the new BIOS is higher than the already existing one.

So will using the bricked method force a BIOS flash?

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    No need to create multiple threads for same topic.

:busted_cop:

5. deosola

deosola MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2014
    Thank you. . .I didn't know the proper etiquette for this forum.