Force flashing a "wrong" AMI BIOS on Asus U36SD

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Rhadoo, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Rhadoo

Rhadoo MDL Junior Member

May 26, 2009
    #1 Rhadoo, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    I have a bit of a problem with an Asus U36SD laptop. There's a long story but here are the summarized facts:

1. Tried updating BIOS from 205 to 206, downloaded from official site. Used Asus Easy Flash utility from within the BIOS menu. Got a warning that the BIOS details (build, motherboard model, date) cannot be found - had the option to flash anyway and so I did it. After the flashing was complete, the computer was completely dead. Later on figured out that the same issue happened to other owners so the actual file on the Asus website might be corrupted.

2. Sent laptop to service for BIOS chip replacement.

3. Received computer flashed with BIOS for S36SG instead of S36SD. It boots fine, I have managed to install Windows but crashes everytime at startup if I install any update for the generic display drivers.

4. Tried flashing old BIOS which originally worked (U36SD 205) but cannot do it anymore as Easy Flash detects it as built for another motherboard model. Tried flashing it using AFUDOS, it fails the procedure right at the beginning saying that the BIOS is write protected.

Now, is there any possibility to force flashing the old working BIOS back onto my laptop? WinFlash does not work either - "The BIOS file version does not match the BIOS ROM version".

In the worst case scenario can anyone help modding the originally working BIOS (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/U36SD/U36SDAS205.zip) to report that it is built for the U36SG model instead of U36SD? This way I might have another chance at flashing it with WinFlash or Easy Fash.

Any other advice would be highly appreciated!

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #2 LatinMcG, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  3. Rhadoo

Rhadoo MDL Junior Member

May 26, 2009
    LatinMcG, you're a STAR!!! I've tried it with the Aptio version of AFUDOS and IT WORKED! You've just saved me 100 € in service fees.

I used this tutorial here: http://www.win-raid.com/t286f16-Guide-Flashing-modified-AMI-Aptio-UEFI-using-AFU.html

It worked with the AFUDOS BIOS.ROM /GAN command.