Force Windows 32 bit Support More Than 3.2 GB RAM [Include Windows 7, Vista, 2003, XP

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vtechtip, Oct 24, 2009.

1. vtechtip

vtechtip MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
  2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 twiz, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    The 3.2GB limitation is due to some motherboard/chipset manufacturers reserving certain addresses for motherboard things so the extra RAM is essecntially skipped.
    All the screenshots show is you have 3.99GB of RAM -- which is very possible by default from a 32bit Windows system.

Also, you should make sure your CPU supports two things (Use Everest, Motherboard -> CPUID -> CPUID Features):
    1). Physical Address Extentsion (PAE)
    2). 36-bit Page Size Extension which emulates(?) a 36bits increasing usable RAM from 2^32 or 4,294,967,296 (4GB) to 2^36 or 68,719,476,736 (64GB). Which is a far cry from the maximum of 64bits: 2^64 or 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 (17,179,869,184GB).

3. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
  4. PedroDaGr8

PedroDaGr8 MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    Don't forget drivers should be PAE-aware, otherwise you can cause system instability. On the server OS, not a big deal as essentially all will be, on the desktop OS this may or maynot be the case.

Plus, it still doesn't get rid of the limit per individual program, so if you use one program that needs/benefits from LOADS of memory, this won't help you.

5. hailstorm

hailstorm MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    Please tell me what WON'T run on 64-bit Windows.

I think all(most?) 32-bit apps and games will run fine.

For older games/some emulators, there is a compatibility mode option. (Or Virtual PC?)

Lastly, for the really old games, you can run Dosbox.

Of course, 64-bit apps will run faster as they're fully optimised for a 64-bit OS.

The only foreseeable problem for using a 64-bit OS is a possible lack of working 64-bit drivers for your devices. Especially your older devices.

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    well the funny thing is you look at the screen shot and it says

Installed Physical Memory: 4gb which is correct you do have 4GB installed
    Total Available Memory (the memory that Windows can actually use): 3 GB

so how does what you did enable you to bypass a 32-bit address limitation...

7. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    agree with the rest. Most times the limitation is based on motherboard (I have a notebook with just that). At most you get a cosmetic fix in that it displays 4Gb available = installed memory (even though the hardware can address 3.2 at max). Even with commercial software like Ramdisk (v10), which claims to recover the difference, it doesn't work because the hardware doesn't allow it. Some motherboards have a memory mapping setting in the BIOS which allows to extend it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I have run into quite a few apps that don't run on 64 bit systems. But most of the good stuff will run just fine..

It really doesn't. These type of patches or hacks are bit misleading...

The 32-bit address limitation is a Architectural Physical Limitation. With PAE enable and the right 32 bit hardware, the 32bit OS will know that there is more than 4 gigs of ram installed in the system and will be able to reference, manage and map that additional physical memory into the application’s virtual address space. But your 32 bit processes will only be able to use their Physical Limitation of 4gigs each.

The OS will benefit from PAE as it will not have to use the page file as much .. That's one of the only benefits to PAE.

If you need one app to access 5 gig of ram, PAE will not help you on a 32 bit system. You need a 64 bit system with a 64 bit OS and a 64 bit App..

These PAE hacks can make a person think, hey I can now stuff 8 gigs of ram on a 32 bit system and 32 bit windows will use it the same way 64 bit windows does... Not going to happen...:D

32 Bit Architectural Physical Memory Limitation
    2^32 = 4.2 billion bytes = 4 GB

64 Bit Architectural Physical Memory Limitation
    2^64 = 17.2 billion gigabytes = 16.8 million terabytes = 16 exabytes

9. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Hello! i use this and it work good for me , but it makes a new partion when i start my windows 7 ,i don t want that
    Can i remove the old partion?
    tnx// Rob

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007

u're talking of the taskmanager screenshot ?
    3GB are available cause 1GB is used.

11. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Has any body else paid attention to the fact that the Screen caps of the Windows 7 Patcher "The Command Prompt one" says Unsupported OS. But then the shot below show a Windows 7 Ultimate Windows Tweaker window with the same specs as the Vista system below...

Plus, what would be the need to use a Russian patcher, what exactly are you patching.. (No offence meant to The People of Russia)

PAE is already part of the OS, and only takes 1 or two short commands to enable on all of the 32 bit Windows OSes.. Your not patching any system files or creating any partitions to enable it..

LOL, this stuff is fake...

12. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    @highspeedmac: Yeah... with all the branding this guy has, and his name, I'm half tempted to call it spam...
    The other half is tempted to call it bulls**t.

So no matter what, the post is worthless.

13. iaTa

iaTa MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
  14. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    And you would be right...

15. iaTa

iaTa MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #16 iaTa, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    highspeedmac I assume you can't read?

There is a software lock in place which must be removed, hence the patch.

16. TBone

TBone MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2008
    #17 TBone, Oct 25, 2009
    A 32 bit OS only supports 4GB of addresses (00000000-FFFFFFFF).

All of the hardware in your system (video adapters, System Board, Network Adapters, USB, SATA, IEEE-1394 etc etc etc) consume addresses. What’s left is available to address the main memory. That’s why a 32 bit system can only address around 3.2 GB of RAM. You can install 4GB, but the system doesn't have enough address space to be able make use of it all.

If you want to see what hardware is consuming the address space, go to device manager and select "View" from the menu, then "Resources by Type", then click the plus next to Memory.

If you want all of your memory to be useable, install the 64-bit version. Unless you’re running a server OS and server apps (SQL DB etc) don't bother with PAE. Even if you can enable it, you probably won't benefit from it.

17. iaTa

iaTa MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Also there are some RAMDisks which enable use of the memory ranges not usually accessible by a 32-bit OS such as Gavotte's and SuperSpeed (via PAE).

These can be used for insanely quick storage of often used files such as internet cache, page file etc.

18. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #19 Phazor, Oct 25, 2009
    Actually the window title doesnt say 'patcher', it says 'remove watermark'.

(Though i dont quite get what watermarks have got to do with PAE...)

EDIT: Now i see:

19. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    No, I can't read the site name tipandtrick.net, With the words in english but the screen caps in another language, but I can read the info contain at MSDN..

Plus the fact I know how to use PAE... And I know what it can do and what it will never do...:D

LOL, if folk want to believe that these patchers are going take away the Architectural Physical Memory Limitations of 32 bit systems, then by all means
    use it...LOL, I don't need false hopes.. As I have 64 bit systems..

And that's without insulting you...