Formated vista C drive,install it again from Recovery partition D

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by streak, Sep 6, 2010.

1. streak

streak MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2010
    Acer system with OEM vista installed ad there is Recovery D partition,i formatted C drive and install xp,but i want to return the vista back to C drive,is it possible to install again the vista from recovery partition.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Info should be available in your user manual as to what Function keys you need to press to access recover procedure. Either that check Acer site for information on recovery for your model, these are things that should always be found out first.

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Most likely when he formated his partition he messed up the mbr so the F key may not work..
    I think he'll need to use the dvd's he shouldve burned but didnt to restore vista or he should install acers recovery software..

4. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    #4 CRA2YHAVOK, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
    On Acer laptops it seems it's ALT-F10 to access the OEM Recovery Partition (PQService Partition) but like what Tcntad has said & you have somehow messed up you MBR then you'll need to use a Recovery Disc.

I have had a look around on various forums & some of the solutions people have posted to get the ALT-F10 working again seem risky, some have reported reboot loops & damage to any existing Windows installations so have removed them from my post.

5. Doctor

Doctor MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    it is possible to restore the MBR. theres a backup of it somewhere on the PQSERVICE partition. (dont ask me where, its been years since i had that partition) theres also a tool with it to restore it.

restore that MBR and F10 will work again.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Im almost certain you can download the PQService tools for acer site.