Formating and Drivers ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by modafokka, Nov 12, 2009.

1. modafokka

modafokka MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi,
    I'm about to format my PC and I want to install W7 on my newly formatted HD.
    As I've never installed a pirated version of an OS, I was wondering if someone could answer these questions ?
    I don't want to rush into this and end up with a formatted computer which I can't use.

I have a CD with drivers and some programs that came with my PC (back in 2005). Would I be able to install these drivers on W7, like I would do when installing XP, with full function ?
    And if that should fail, how much trouble is finding all the drivers again.

Using :
    Windows XP
    Home Edition, SP3

MEDION
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79 GHz, 1,50 G of RAM

------------------------
    Thanks for all help, in advance :)

2. Brandrune

Brandrune MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Hey mate and welcome to MDL. Windows 7 comes with all drivers needed so you don't need your own. If however one or two are missing when you reinstall feel free to message me and I can find them for you.

Windows 7 is a great Operating System and I am here to help you make it work for you.

3. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I am running a P4 cpu with Gigabyte board probably about the same age as your setup.
    As Bandrune said Win 7 comes with 'most' of the drivers you need. The only driver I had to install was my ADSL modem to get internet connection.
    Some drivers were downloaded by Windows Update i.e. Realtek sound drivers and Silicon Image sata drivers for the motherboard.
    The other thing I downloaded was the latest drivers for my graphics card.

One thought, how do you intend to activate in 7?

4. modafokka

modafokka MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    @Brandrune

Thank you very much, appreciate it :)

@Everilda

Good to know, and I was thinking of using "Loaders" as I recall it was called.
    Wouldn't that be ok for my system ? Did you use BIOS or a loader ?

5. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Hi friend!
    If you want to use a loader, I recommend the Daz one (link in my signature) it has many security features that made it very hard to be detected and disabled.

I had 100% of activation success with this loader, but if you are dare:eek:, you can try a Bios mod that is more difficult to be detected, but more risky because if you don't do it right you may lose your Bios.

It's your choice, read the related posts to take your decision. Happy activation!:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I would create 2 partitions - one about 60 GB for the OS - Win 7 will also create a 100 MB system partition for you - let it - and the rest of your disk for data etc - don't forget to format this partition during setup.

You move your User folders to the new partition - create a folder called Users\ "Username" (eg Users\Fred) on your new partition.

Open Users\yourname and roght click on folders listed one at a time and choose Location and simply press home delete to delete C: and type D: or whatever the new partition letter is and let Windows copy all files to avoid having 2 locations.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I started using a Loader in Vista but switched to a bios mod after the release of SP1 and then updated the bios mod for Win 7.

Bios modification cannot be carried out on all machines, it depends on the type of bios and the manufacturer of the motherboard/PC. i.e. Gigabyte is one of the easiest board to modify whereas Sony is amongst the most difficult.

I would agree with what SCBrigth said, try Daz's loader until you can learn more about bios mods.

All the information can be found on this forum, read the bios mods, Vista and Win 7 sections, particularly the 'Stickys'.

Also click on the link in my signature and read that, if you have not already do so.

8. modafokka

modafokka MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the help :)
    Setup went well and loader worked great :)

theres just this one thing...
    The driver for my display did not work nor for audio.
    I have "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200" display adapter and "C-Media AC97 Audio Device"

I've tried googling this and found out that I should try to use a Vista version of the drivers, couldn't find one for the "C-Media AC97 Audio Device"
    but found it for NVIDIA, downloaded it and installed until I got a unpleasant message :
    The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate
    any drivers that are compatible with your
    current hardware. Setup will now exit.

Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong and how I could fix this/find the correct drivers.
    I would be very pleased if I could listen to music and at least play Solitaire on my "new" computer :)

9. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
  10. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #12 byghtn3, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    Arrrrgg!!

AIYEE Mateee, did ye remember ye eyepatch by chance??

Shiver me timbers, its getting a wee bit drafty in here!!