Formatting before fresh install of Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zoy, Nov 5, 2010.

1. zoy

zoy MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    Hi guys

I'm currently running XP Pro but have decided to install Microsoft Windows 7 32 Bits from the repository.

What i need to know before i commence is, will the DVD (that i make of the Microsoft Windows 7 32 Bits iso) allow me to completely format my hard drive before it installs Win7.

Sorry for the newbie question.

Thanks
    Zoy

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #2 timesurfer, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I think he only wants to repartition/reformat, so the answer is yes, the Win7 DVD allows the user to do that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
    You can also do a new install (instead of a upgrade) & format it using the DVD, actually thats the fastest way to format your Hdd anyway.

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    No upgrade from XP is possible at least concerning programs

6. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Another option will be to create a partition, unless you have another HD to install windows 7 to. Allowing you to keep your xp pro and dual boot the 2 os's.
    Alfa:);)

7. kvonlinee

kvonlinee MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2010
    if you want to keep XP partition then use a software tp partition a hard drive like paragon partition hard ware (may cost you some money)
    the next thing is you get a new hard drive and install window 7 on the new drive then you just need to figure in bios to boot from new drive with win 7 and not from XP that way you still have info on XP drive.
    other is like many suggest use the dvd win 7 setup to format the whole drive and use custom to set up window 7
    good luck

8. zoy

zoy MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks guys

As i don't have access to another PC it's not possible for me to format my hard drive using another application.

The DVD allowed me to install Win7 over the XP but i'm unsure if it formatted the hard drive first, as the onscreen installation process didnt show any formatting taking place, it just asked me which drive/partition i wanted to install Win7 on, so i just chose the only 1 hard drive/partition that was available.

I've had at look in my C: drive and there is a files there from the XP install called KAS (I did have Kaspersky installed on XP a while ago and then unisntalled it). I've tried to search for an installed version of Kaspersky on Win7 but there isn't one so it must be a remnant from XP?

Other than that it installed/activated and works a dream:biggrin:

Thanks
    Zoy

9. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    When installing Win7, choose "custom" not "express" installation, you can do what you desired.

10. zoy

zoy MDL Novice

Nov 5, 2010
    I reinstalled Win7 again. I used custom before as well but didnt go into the Advanced section, thats where the formatting section is.

So i've managed to format and reinstall windows with the DVD:biggrin:

Thanks
    Zoy

11. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    The best way I found to install Windows 7 is to partition the HD Drive "before" installing windows. This way you can get ride off the hidden 100 MB partition which is a pain if you are using an Imagine Program To backup.

You can do that with a lot of tools, Gparted, Easus Partition manager free etc...
    Or, if you have access to your new HDD from another OS just Hook your HDD to your Computer and manage to partition and format your HD.
    ;)

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No real need for 3rd party software you can go to custom settings in setup and format the partition it will not make small partition because xp partition was already set to active. Also even if new hard drive you can use the custom settings part and let it make small partition then delete other partition and extend small one.

13. K3VL4R

K3VL4R MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2009
    Why not accomplish both formatting and getting rid of the 100MB at the same time. I am sure this has already been posted here but it is nice to repost once in a while since some people may have missed it.

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    How to Delete/ Remove Windows 7 System Reserved Partition

Firstly, insert the Windows 7 installation DVD and boot from DVD drive. When you reach at the partition screen, click on Drive options (advanced) to delete existing partitions and create a new partition.

Click OK. You’ll receive the following message:
    To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files.

Now, you’ll notice that two partitions are created- a System Reserved System of 100MB and another partition which is the primary one.

Click on the Primary partition and Delete it. Once the partition is deleted, the deleted disk space will now become unallocated space.

Click on the 100MB System Reserved Partition, and click Extend. Assign the available disk space to the partition, and click Apply.

Now, the system reserved partition of 100MB will get extended, click on it and then click Format.

Once the formatting is done, the originally System Reserved Partition will transform into a normal system partition. You can now install Windows 7 as usual.