[DISCUSSION] Forum Rules

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by reginakampher, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    #41 LostED, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    @woody.cool

Code:
    Unregistered members cannot see any link anymore, also no images. 
    People need to register and to make one post at least (edit: you don't need to make a post anymore). 
    MDL is no public forum anymore where people can access anything without to register

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. OneLeggedLady

OneLeggedLady MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2015
    #42 OneLeggedLady, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    thanks for the info :worthy:

3. blueshirt31

blueshirt31 MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2015
    Thanks for explanation.

4. drinkcampari

drinkcampari MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2014
    Thanks for pointing this out. Fantastic community @MDL. Keep up the good work :clap:

5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    This is getting ridiculous, some threads are becoming nothing more than thank you threads just to increase post-counts.
    I hate seeing this forum go downhill like this because I really liked it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Yeah, well, I don't think we'll "die" because of some thank you postings ;)
    If people do it in a mass posting manner to raise their post count, we'll delete...

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I feel as a person who has contributed to MDL that it is already obvious who knows what already. I already know after (damn it has been awhile) 5 years who is full of crap and who isn't. This should not be a hard thing to work out on the forum as some posts continuously get updated. Hell I've kept some posts alive just so they can keep going. That being said it should be obvious what threads are pointless n which aren't.

8. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Sure.
    Well with the rules now being modified, I don't think that there is going to be as much of an issue with all the "thank you" posts just to be able to download something. I have more but I'm kind of in the middle of something.

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Personally I'm not a fan of the "Thank you" to download material stuff. Feel free to PM with your thoughts shrugs.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    ATM it makes no sense to discuss about our forum rules. The rules have an ample scope to change the policy of contents already.
    With the announcement of policy change step one things will change during next days. Some will be applied, some adjusted later due to 'side' effects.

The load of thanks posts came because there was a popup asking members to make one post even though they don't need anymore already....I took 3 hours to delete most of them.
    It will become our efforts to make things right which are going to have side effects....well...

We have tested little measures at particular threads already to gather results concerning 'the others'.:biggrin:
    We will choose the appropriate measures from them to avoid DMCA takedowns.

The team is prepared to realize a new MDL policy. Goal is to run without issues. Personal opinions of members are secondary. We re-act on actions of those who want to have things removed we comply with takedown requests....and apply the best we can...regardless if liked by a particular member or not...

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #52 Smorgan, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Meaning no insult as I have no sore feelings but you guys need a DCMA policy which is flexible so that users can modify without having threads blown away. I know its serious from the PM you sent me but we need a way to adapt. That's why I stated it as a personal opinion as it differs between people. Yen it makes perfect sense to discuss forum rules so that feedback is initiated with the staff imho. We need to accept that DMCA take downs will occur and as a whole how the forum will respond to such things in a proactive manner. I know its a very honest reply but there ya go. We need some transparency so that communication between staff and the user base is solid. This will also make it so confusion does not happen which may rub people the wrong way.

12. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I am a little curious about SVF's and Deltas. Neither are an MS product and both are user created. If we have delta's it is useless without the source file, and the source file would be MS property. How or what should be done in this area. I have seen many SVF and delta files get removed because of DMCA, yet they are not MS IP.

Basically the SVF/delta files are nothing more than compressed jibberish on its own, useless without a source file. A source file that of course would need to be found elsewhere and not here.

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  14. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #55 Smorgan, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    I'm actually in disagreement. If you want any transparency with the policy changes being put through in regards to DMCA then we need to know what areas are off limits. Also you need a response to such things not simply saying well its just off limits. I mean how are we going to make this work? Are we going to have private portions of the forum so that the site can't be crawled by DMCA guys.

This means we will have topics that become Swiss cheese in nature. We won't exactly know why such topics are removed because of the DMCA request or how to fix future topics. It's akin to taking a shotgun and blasting topics across the forum. We need a way to make this easier because some topics have taken a very long time to mature. I can understand why the thread must be removed however my concern is on how this will reflect on threads that are closely related to it.

We need a way to re-mediate issues that are DMCA'd topics. If we don't members will never know why their threads were taken down. Along with this it means that some topics are simply black listed in nature. This does no one any good because we don't know what portions are good or bad.

Simply put the existing plan is bad. We need a way to see what topics are off limits if you want MDL to stay alive.

Also do we have a direct answer to these DCMA's so we can just put those that are not public. Also how does this remedy topics that are closely related to DCMA'd topics.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    "If we don't members will never know why their threads were taken down."

Everybody actually knows why! The point is if one can accept it or not: Somebody has the opinion that it is against the DMCA and has enough power to get it removed, end of story.....
    Since it seems that you cannot accept this simple fact any further reply is senseless.

16. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #58 Smorgan, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    I very much disdain being misunderstood on a forum in which I hold pride in. I have made posts which go back a few years which I still say hey I did that and it still matters. Please do not misunderstand what I am asking. What needs to be asked is what happens to forum threads which are closely related but only one is DCMA'd.

17. Dufhz

Dufhz MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Maybe enterprise eval iso could used as source and use m$ link.

18. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    oh yes they do, without question. by the time it scares the daylights out of you, you know.. it can also scare the daylights
    out of admin, i understand.. what i would like to propose is to do it how google does it; as the result of a DMCA request this or that was removed, etc. clear enough. no further discussion needed... and no need to take arms against a sea of troubles. that is counterproductive.
    . just my 2 cents.