Found Cool Tool - WSUS OFFLINE UPDATE 6.6

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by DARKOR04, Sep 8, 2010.

1. DARKOR04

DARKOR04 MDL Tester/Developer

Jul 5, 2010
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    I have used this program for years now, but it's not 100%. It do never download all updates, so if you install Windows 7 and Office 2007 on a computer, you still has to download 50-150 MB with updates after using WSU offline. You save allot, but still, I think it's strange that they don't download all updates.
    It's the same for Windows XP, 2003, 2008 and 2008 R2.

I always run the program and download the newest updates before I use it when I help people I know have a slow internet connection. So the program has downloaded "all" updates, but still Windows and Office need more updates. Still, a good program.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #4 acyuta, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    With all updates for win 7 adding up to around 100-150 MB and with broadband speeds of close to 2-5 mbps in Western Countries, does it make sense to go and download them separately and add to the work time.

I have downloaded all win 7 updates from MS and kept all updates till Sep 2010 in a separate folder on my PC. On a fresh install, just install the bigger ones (>10 MB). Install 4-5 of those, and I am through with more than 50% of updates by size. The rest is done by windows update. Takes just 30 mins (at broadband of 750 kbps in my home) to get from a fresh install to win 7+ all updates. No work suffers in the meanwhile.

On the other hand, by the time just before SP1 comes, these updates would be more than 200 MB in size.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't even bother

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Of course, it does make some sense to have such a service. However, if you are diligent enough, you would download everything before you install.
    Download a fresh definition file of MSE every week.
    Visual C++ 2005-10 are anyway there on my PC. Net 4 is also there.
    Once you have all the MS software on your PC HDD, then it is much quicker. I usually get from booting from windows 7 install dvd to OS+7+updates+visual+net+office 2010+minor tweaks and personalisations in about 60-70 mins. From then on, it is an hour to get a final system, excluding imaging.

7. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Peaked my interest. Does it clean update directory's in Windows 7 also?? I've searched but haven't found any program that will do that yet. I think half my installation is updates, LOL

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    These utilities have a purpose and are useful in some situations. However, there is a lot of diff. in broadband speeds between say 2006 and 2010. In developed countries, at 2-5 mbps, you click on windows update, and updates get done so quickly. In developing countries such as mine (India), an overwhelming majority do not know what is windows on a computer, and are still going out to get repairs for an ancient pin-based mouse.

I for one could not make it work, and have found that storing updates on the hard disk, and clicking to install the bigger ones is a better solution. Or if I am lazy, just let the windows update on its own.