[FOUND&FIXED] Can someone test this bug for me?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by IAmTheDude, Aug 11, 2015.

1. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    #1 IAmTheDude, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Original Post:
    Trying to narrow this one down.

Make sure you have a backup as I haven't been able to revert it yet.

-Close all File Explorer Windows
    -Open File Explorer FROM THE TASKBAR
    -Set File Explorer to open to Quick Access
    -Run the reg, its just to remove the six folders from This PC (or should)
    -Open File Explorer FROM THE TASKBAR - Should still show Quick Access (frequent files etc)
    -View Options - Change to This PC - OK
    -Expand the nav pane to confirm the folders are gone.
    -Close File Explorer
    -Open File Explorer FROM THE TASKBAR

Does it open...Windows Defender?

Fricking baffling me this one, even with a reg backup its still stuck on Windows Defender. If you remove Defender it just doesn't open at all.

This PC (icon) and all other folders work fine just the shortcut on the taskbar.

Setting it to open to Quick Access makes it work again but only to Quick Access.

Even any shortcut to explorer.exe doesn't work. Even running c:\Windows\explorer.exe opens Defender.

Ive recreated this one several installs and all editions (Home > LTSB) EXCEPT a completely unaltered iso so if someone has one setup and would try it for me that would be brill.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{0ddd015d-b06c-45d5-8c4c-f59713854639}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{35286a68-3c57-41a1-bbb1-0eae73d76c95}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{7d83ee9b-2244-4e70-b1f5-5393042af1e4}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{a0c69a99-21c8-4671-8703-7934162fcf1d}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{f42ee2d3-909f-4907-8871-4c22fc0bf756}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{0ddd015d-b06c-45d5-8c4c-f59713854639}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{35286a68-3c57-41a1-bbb1-0eae73d76c95}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{7d83ee9b-2244-4e70-b1f5-5393042af1e4}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{a0c69a99-21c8-4671-8703-7934162fcf1d}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{f42ee2d3-909f-4907-8871-4c22fc0bf756}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}\PropertyBag]
    "ThisPCPolicy"="Hide"
    ]

You've probably guessed I'm tweaking stuff so am not complaining but I would like to confirm this as I've a load more edits to try and narrow it down.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited Post follows...

RAAAR

Ive found what was up. I'd stupidly left my reg tweaks in setupcomplete and they were getting applied before boot which is why I could reproduce it consistently.

It wasn't the removing of the folders that was the issue.

it was cascading context menus on This PC registry key.

Ok, heres what happens:
    The registry key in question is:

Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\]
    For example, if I set my cascading Admin Tools menu:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Menu 1 - Admin Tools
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\Menu1]
    "MUIVerb"="Admin Tools"
    "SubCommands"="CPaddremove;ATdevmgr;ATdiskman;ATregedit;APPservicetweaker;CPUser;ATAdvancedUsersAccount;ATlusrmgr;ATLocalGroupPolicy;ATLocalSecurityPolicy;MMCfsmgmt;ATTaskScheduler;ATEventViewer;ATPerformanceMonitor;ATwindowsupdate;CPDefender"
    "Icon"="imageres.dll,207"
    "Position"="Bottom"

The subcommands are defined in:

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\]

Now if you notice the last definition on that subcommand is CPDefender which translates into the CommandStore as:

Code:
    ;Windows Defender
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\CPDefender]
    "icon"="inetcpl.cpl,0"
    @="Windows Defender"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\CPDefender\command]
    @="control /name Microsoft.WindowsDefender"

BINGO! That's why it kept launching Defender :clap:

So, to combat it I defined a new CommandStore of

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\explorerfix]
    @="This PC"
    "Icon"="explorer.exe"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\explorerfix\command]
    @="explorer.exe shell:MyComputerFolder"

and placed it at the end of the SubCommands for the context menu:
    Code:
    ...;ATwindowsupdate;CPDefender;explorerfix
    TADA Ive got all my context menus working as before AND squashed this little bug!

Been after that sucker for the last week on and off, thinking it was something wrong with my tweaks. Oh No. Just another thing broken in Windows.

I also tried replicating this in Server 2012R2 (Probably the same in 8.1 but I havnt got it)

Low and behold, clicking the taskbar shortcut gives a explorer error and the above fix does indeed fix it.

Cascading Context Menus in 10 ahoy!!!

Appreciate the help in confirming it wasn't what I originally thought :)

2. 2574

2574 MDL Junior Member

Feb 23, 2010
  3. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    S.O.A.B

Yeah its the six main folders above the drives when File Explorer is set to This PC

Somethings getting messed up or broken when altering the wim and applying this tweak then, as thats the only tweak I ran on a clean install on a modded wim to troubleshoot.

wims heavily modified as well so I have no idea where it could be or what the hell is causing explorer.exe to redirect to Defender lol

Thanks for testing that for me. Gonna have to do some more bug hunting. This is the last step before I finally have 10 how I want it (bar the telematry) and was hoping to put it to bed.

4. 2574

2574 MDL Junior Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Tested again on a clean Win 10 Pro x64 (MSDN hashes), Express setup, no updates installed but VMware tools to copy over reg file. I still don't have Defender popping up when I click the explorer icon in the Taskbar. :( Would have been a fun bug if true lol :p

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Just use the latest version of "old new explorer" it can hide (and restore) all those W10 novelties.

6. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    It was funny at first but gets annoying lol

Ive got that ready to go but it needs some tweaking, read that was .16 was having a few issues with installers.

7. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Edited OP with new info and fix!

:bashtroll:Gotcha! :smokecowboy: