Four time Upgrade on Build 14379, 3 returns to 14376!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Jul 4, 2016.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As the title say!

On one of my computers, I got the problem with updating to 14379! 3 times the upgrade went :

1. to 72%, resulting in the return to 14376
    2. to 94%, also resulting in return 14376
    3. to finish and come to the log on screen, resulting again in going back to 14376
    4. on the forth, all went ok!

Now the computer is running on 14379 with no problems.

Every time I was looking for the Log File, it didn't exist! The only message was on screen before returning to old install, that there was a problem and the former build was a need to be recovered.

I didn't use to do anything else as just to switch on the computer and switch off before leaving office, just to see what will happen. After the recovery to 14376, I couldn't manually start the upgrading because the upgrade was not shown in Settings/Update! Even run a re-check, it didn't appear! As I didn't have the time to something else, I left the machine just powered On while in office. Normally I didn't be in Office on Sunday's, just was need to be yesterday because of a problem on of my Backup Device not to be working (1 tape was 'hanging') and just as I was going to Off the power in Office, that computer started to Auto-Upgrade again, so I was leave the power On and running over the night. Just to mention, every time the Upgrade file (ESD) were downloaded again.

Luckily, that computer is just one of the spares, and normally not be used every day! As for the install, everything is as it is on all our Office Computers. Any data are auto saved on our Data-Fileserver, from wich the Auto-Backup is running to BD and Tape. The Tape system I use is Quantum SuperLoader 3, LTO-5, 16 Slots, 6Gb/s SAS, a 2U Rackmount Autoloader, using 3TB LTO Ultrium5 Tapes. The software used is Yosemite Server Backup for both: BD and Quantum Autoloader (Windows and Linux Server).
    All Data are not kept on the Workstation Computers, it's saved on Server only, and that applies also for the Computers used by my Staff! Data-Security has the highest priority in my company! Everything is backed up 3 times:

• on RAID
    • on BD 50GB Media
    • on Tape

I also have 3 Stand-By Computers in Office (and 1 at Home) with same OS and Software (all activated), so, one goes down, isn't any problem. As such is expensive, it's not really useful for Home use!

OK, next time such will happen, I'll simply wait for MS to correct and not to invest any time to search the culprit, which isn't shown by MS! The MS Feedback, to which I reported as well, didn't gave a single answer, means is simply useless!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Try task manager, startup tab, disable everything in there, then try it.:worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'd try that already once and it didn't worked, so: useless!!

Anyway, MS solved that problem on it's own way, what way that ever was(?)!

4. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    They were able to push out a fix based on all the telemetry data they received. :biggrin3:

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Or maybe Insider saw a problem and reported it through Windows Insider feedback:confused:

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry to answer late, I was out of office and just be back!

Whatever was done, it finally worked! Only I was missing, are the Logfiles, NONE are found on that Computer!!

For upgrades/updates like that, I place such computers on a open Internet, while normal Workstations are behind Smoothwall and MS didn't has any access to them! Any outgoing and incoming traffic are limited and any packages are checked in real time on the fly! MS Server are all (as far a we know the addresses) blocked on default for outgoing and incoming traffic!

And just to mention (again?), I reported the problem on my own to MS! Just no reply, as useable!!

7. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    I have a few PCs and a few Virtual PCs, this 14379 does seem to be buggy that way. I had a couple blue screen on me as well in different stages of upgrade, some revert back, some I reset and they just continue on! All eventually just completed as did yours, I imagine that'll be fixed next release, I would think.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. bdl

bdl MDL Addicted

Aug 8, 2012
    Download esd,decrypt in iso and fresh install .