Free upgrade to Win 10 advice/options help.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by 1vincent, Jan 2, 2020.

1. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    Hello.

I have Win 7 Ultimate now and as support is ending i thought i would upgrade if i still can.

I have Win 7 installed using windows loader and it has been ok for 3-4 years.

I have a SSD installed in the last 9 months but can i get some advice on what route to take as i would like to keep all my programmes, data and other stuff i have now and i would not really want to wipe the drive.

I have 4 gb memory but 800mb is used for the onboard graphics card. Would getting more memory help or would disabaling the onboard graphics card and getting a new card make any difference?

I am using 32 bit now bit i know if i use 64 bit i would need more than 4 gb memory but would i see any difference in the pc's performance?

Below are some specs to see what my pc has.

Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD A4/A6
    Richland 32nm Technology
    RAM
    4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 687MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    MSI FM2-A55M-E33 (MS-7721) (P0)
    Graphics
    E2240 (1024x768@60Hz)
    768MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7480D (MSI)
    Storage
    223GB KINGSTON SA400S37240G ATA Device (SSD)
    149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJS-62WAA0 ATA Device (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    CD-ROM Drive
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Upgrade to 10 Pro will give you the option to keep most apps and all files, and should result in a free HWID for the hardware.

3. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    Thank you for your reply.

I have checked my key using Ultimate PID checker and it comes back as OEM:SLP, can i still upgrade using this key and have a valid Windows 10?

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Entering that key directly into Windows 10, in order to register, will NOT work, as OEM:SLP keys are not unique. However, if you upgrade from a correctly OEM:SLP-activated and genuine Windows 7 version (means OEM:SLP product key, installed OEM manufacturer certificate, and OEM SLIC table in BIOS/UEFI), it will be honored. Note that it does not matter how you achieve the activation, using the Daz Windows Loader will work fine.

Explanation: By entering a Windows 7 or Windows 8.x key into Windows 10, you are supposed to prove license ownership. OEM:SLP keys and generic Volume license keys (gVLKs) are common knowledge, not unique and do, by themselves, not constitute a license. For that reason, they are blocked. On the other hand, a complete OEM:SLP-activated Windows 7 is licensed correctly (at least technically), and does work as upgrade base.

Note: I do not know exactly if OEM:SLP_COA keys will work. COA keys are the ones printed onto the stickers any OEM:SLP-activated machine must bear. COA keys (Certificate Of Authenticity) are unique per machine. Try entering that key.

5. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    The pc i have was a self build and a family member installed the Windows Ultimate on it and obviously used the win loader on it.

I found out when i tried doing a re-install 2 or more years ago and he had to tell me about what he had done. There is no COA sticker on the machine so i wont be able to do that.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The system is activated by DAZ loader, now just upgrade to 10 Pro and you can keep your files and most apps (if compatible) and get a free bonus HWID for 10 Pro.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    yup... Install 10 while your using Windows 7 if your using a slic key(daz loader), and from then on you'll always have a windows 10 digital license. Even if you format or replace your hard drive it will still authenticate when you reinstall 10 (keeping the same version type)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    Do i go to Microsoft and download the upgrade or from this site?

I am using 32bit now but is it worth going for the 64 bit version.

I have 4gb memory so should i just go for 32 bit version or install more memory and take advantage of the 64 bit version?

Thanks for the help so far.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #10 Enthousiast, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Here are all download options: Download Windows Install Media Techbench/MVS ISO/UUP/SVF/ESD
    but it doesn't matter where you get it from, as long as it is an official techbench ISO, MVS consumer ISO or a consumer ESD/UUP dump created Pro ISO.
    You can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64bit, that needs a fresh install, which will mean, the files and compatible apps won't be kept.
    Considering the fact mentioned in the previous answer, you have to upgrade by using a x86 ISO.

If you don't want to keep the files and compatible apps, you can follow the route of what @SAM-R linked at and do the fresh install using a x64 ISO.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #11 Carlos Detweiller, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Yes, the Daz-activated Windows is the valid OEM:SLP base I spoke about. The Loader did set up all parts of the OEM:SLP activation (emulated SLIC table, certificate and SLP product key).

Note that the Loader will vanish as part of the upgrade process. This is normal and you do in no way need to reinstall it.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    I tried twice yesterday to upgrade and both times it faild at about 93%.

!st method was i used Windows 10 1909 32bit and i started the upgrade from inside Win 7 using setup.exe and it was going ok and it was installing ok and i left the pc but when i came back there was a box that said Windows 10 installation failed but no reason or codes.

2nd time i used Joe C tip and Windows created an iso and i put that onto a usb and folled the instructions but it went to 93% and the same box was showing but ne reason for the failed installation.

Any ideas on how to procceed or am i not doing this correct?

13. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    After several failed attempts i updated the LAN and graphics drivers and tried again.

It went ok and it was updating and then said updates done and will have to reboot and then i got a message saying that there was issues and it the pc will revert back to the state it was.

After it done that it stated that the Windows is not genuine.

The error code 0xC1900101 - 0x40017 was given as the reason for failed attemt.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    This upgrade error is most likely driver related.

Make sure there are no yellow exclamation marks in device manager before the upgrade.

Go to c:\windows\panther and check the setuperr.log for more info.

It can also be AV interfering, uninstall it, if there is an third party AV installed.

Now you're back on 7, re-use daz loader and verify the activation, when it's verified, run the gatherosstate.exe and keep the generated genuineticket.xml in a safe place.

15. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    Thank you for your reply.

The only AV is MSE which i disabled real time protection for.

There are no yellow exclamation marks at all.

As for daz loader i done that today. How do i verify it as on the System page in Control Panel it sys Windows is activated" and when i run gatherosstate.exe do i extrcat that from the Windows 10 ISO i use to upgrade this Windows 7 machine?

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    First, did you check the log for the problem causer?

If the loader successfully ran and you rebooted, and windows "system" page says it's activated, it most likely is.

You could run slmgr -dlv to verify.

You can copy the gatherosstate.exe from the win 10 iso to your win 7 desktop, it will safe the genuineticket.xml next to it, copy it to a safe place (usb, external hdd, d partition, etcetc...)

17. 1vincent

1vincent MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2016
    My key comes back as validated.

I tried it again with nothing but ssd, keyboard and mouse plugged in.

Disabled internet and MSE and disabled all usb devices in device manager.

I have run the iso from a folder on the desktop and it seems to stop on the 2nd reboot and gives me reason in post 15 and it also after going back to Win 7 says my copy is not genuine.

I do have the log files but nothing there makes much sense to me. I can upload them if needed.

I

18. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    Just do a clean install and be done with it.