Freedom Pop Devices

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by stephenjones007, Apr 24, 2014.

1. stephenjones007

stephenjones007 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    Just curious if anyone has used any of these devices from freedompop(the free internet). I know the data is limited but what about the speed? There are mixed reviews all over. Just thought I'd throw this up at an actual tech forum. Also are there other similar free services? I once saw a different company doing this but cant find it anywhere. i'd like to setup someone who uses the net to read their emails like once a week on a similar service.

2. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I have not used this device/company because of the limited data cap and not-beneficial-to-me paid plan so I can't comment directly, but the speeds will generally be in the 3G range since all these companies do is latch on to a local cellular network. If all that's going to be done is email and basic web browsing then super high speed really is not that important, is it?

I have a hotspot device from Clear.com (now owned by Sprint) and the speeds are 3-4G in my limited coverage area, so no complaints. But I do pay the recently increased price of $25/mo for 2GB of data.

NetZero also has a free plan after you buy the (more costly than Freedom Pop) hotspot device with the same 500mb a month type of deal.. not sure if anyone else does.

I see the FreedomPop device on sale often for like $20-25, so it might be worth it to just try it and see if it's suitable for you/whoever.