FreeOffice

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Kim100, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #1 Kim100, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  2. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    They want your e-mail address in order to download their free version. You can't go any further in the download unless you give one. They also have a paid version. Wonder what they left out of the free copy but included in the paid version?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
  4. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #4 Antilope, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I have looked at these comparisons in the past, they don't help very much. LibreOffice is a classic, they say its compatible with MS Office but it isn't, many times I have had Word docs turned into complete gibberish when opened in Libre/Open Office. I have also sent documents to MS Office users created in Libre/Open Office only for the recipient to complain that they cannot open the document or again its just gibberish when opened.

SoftMaker has been the best for me, probably because its a MS Office clone.

6. ZarkBit

ZarkBit MDL Junior Member

Jun 18, 2015
    +1 SoftMaker through Wine

7. darksun1

darksun1 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    I like of Libreoffice

8. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix Guest

Mine doesn't need to be compatible, I use LibreOffice on both Windows and Mint.

9. muscleriot

muscleriot MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2014
    Just as an aside to this discussion on Open Source Office Suites.
    I went though a few open source office providers last year looking for something comparable to MS Access. (I often use access databases for many tasks).

The best open source database (none as good as Access) I found after comparing quite a few open offices, was BASE which comes as part of LibraOffice. It's a bit kudgy, but IS capable so you can even do master-detail (i.e. show details of a part in a separate form (form within a form) connected by a key). Very impressed by this - its also moving to a better SQL database called FireBird. Did get knocked over a few times though with one or two bugs and disappearing tables.
    Access is much better overall but all the security layering, signing etc... to make up for the innate lack of security in Windows is very discouraging - especially when you run the same database across multiple computers on a network share - which is where BASE and Linux excel.

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  11. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I tried WPS Office a couple of years ago, I found it to be inferior to FreeOffice at that time. The 2016 version may be better, these office suites do leapfrog one-another, I will have to take another look.

12. jaykstah

jaykstah MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2016
    Haven't heard of this one; I've stuck with LibreOffice on Linux so far but I'll give this a shot to see if it's a useful alternative.