Freeze with wlan-card disabled/enabled

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by m4ansen, Feb 19, 2013.

1. m4ansen

m4ansen MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    Computer: Samsung 530U, NP530U3C-A07SE

So we got this computer brand new with Windows 7. We wanted Windows 8, and performed an clean install of Windows 8, manually formatting the partitions, meaning deleting of every recovery partitions and so on. Windows 8 booted fine, and everything worked fine, installed new drivers through Samsungs own "Windows 8 SW update"-software. Installed new updates through windows update, and everything seemed to work just fine.

But then, suddenly when the PC have been left alone for a while, and I think I can provoke the same issue by hibernate and start up again, the wifi can't connect to the wireless network, which the networks router could be found 1 meter aside. You then get the "network available"-symbol, and we can go on and try to connect to the network. The PC tries to connect for a while, and then it seems to just kill the wlan-card, like it has been disabled, and now the PC freeze. We now have to hard-reboot it, and wait for login, and then clean reboot it, and then again at login everything works fine. To the next time the PC have been left alone.

So the problem look like this; hibernation->wifi connection lost->wifi available->re-connecting to wifi->wlan-card disabled->PC freeze

What we have tried is to uninstall all wifi-drivers, install different drivers, from Samsungs site, windows pre-installed drivers, driver software-drivers and so on. Just to add, we also have this 7 series computer from Samsung, everything works fine.

Have anyone else been dealing with the same problem/or have any suggestions? Can anyone suggest a software to log what's happening with the computer before it crash/freeze, because I can't seem to find anything from the Windows Event Viewer.

Thanks in advance.

2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Have you tried updating your computer BIOS or UEFI to the latest firmware?

3. m4ansen

m4ansen MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2013
    Thanks, yes I have the latest bios. Also the uefi version was more unstable than the bios version.

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Is your computer certified to work with Windows 8?

5. maddog0266

maddog0266 MDL Expert

Apr 26, 2011
    I had the same problem with a D-link wifi card. Had to remove it from my system. Could not track down the problem. Even on the MS site there was no fix for it. Some older cards don't work with Windows 8 and some mother boards. Tried the card in a system that I setup for my kids and it worked without a problem. My system has a Foxconn mother board in it and the kids system has an ASUS mother board. Not sure what it is but no matter what drivers I install it would not work. The system would boot then hang when the wifi was connecting. If I went into safe mode and disable the card, then rebooted it would boot fine, then re-enabled the card it would work fine until the system would go the sleep. When it came out of sleep mode it would hang again. One thing I did try was a driver that was listed in the Windows 8 driver list for another ver of the same card (D-Link) it would work but you could not set the setting for the card. You could try that, the thing I found was that when I did that the wifi would only connect at 11Mbits not 54 like it should. That made the speed slower on the network.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's not an desktop, it's an Ultra-Book Laptop! So may it's possible to change the internal WiFi Module but there isn't an PCI Card!

May try the following:
    • open an Command Prompt with Admin rights
    • type the following command: ipconfig /release and wait for confirmation
    • type: ipconfig /renew and wait for confirmation
    • check you could go online
    It's maybe because the former IP Address is used from other's while you'r off line so the change if the IP Address may is needed.

Note: this is just a test to find out what happens or what triggers the problem.

Maybe the problem also could be "sleep" related?! May you'll need to change to Power plan in Control Panel/Power Options and disallow the laptop to go to sleep, set to turn off the display instead.

And I would contact Samsung Service as well because such shouldn't be happens! But who knows?!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...