Freezing Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dragonfire665, Nov 30, 2010.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    So since last week my friend ha been having freezing issues with Windows 7 32bit. We decided to reinstall it again and still the same. By freezing i mean, i will either no boot completely or if it does it will just freeze on certain moment and not wake up. After a fresh installation on a new partition, it still doing it. We did some test to narrow down the problem but now we are stuck. We flash his Falcon mobo with the latest firmware. We ran memtest on his only 2GB ram (35 test) and no errors. We ran Western Digital data life guard boot method and no errors the same for disk errors.

We decided, to re burn the windows 7 32 ultimate disc that i have always use on all other computers and still the same. I redownload it and still the same. At this point we do not know what could be causing this freezing, can anyone help me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    noone cant help me? Atleast with some suggestions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. potpotjeng

potpotjeng MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    Try to use i hard drive and install the OS and see if it will work normally.There's posibility there are conflicts between your hard drives.

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
  5. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That is a good thought dude but if he is anything like I am then he is dual booting from one hard drive that is partitioned at least 2 ways and obviously cannot remove one if that is the case. If I am wrong however and he has 2 drives then that might help as that has been reported before lol. Just wanting to point that out. ;)

6. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    i did the HDD check, i mean i ran all test possible and is coming back clean. But at this moment i can barely even install Windows without freezing. Now even installing it it will freeze.

7. skip029

skip029 MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    #7 skip029, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
    I had almost the same issue Dragonfire while reinstalling my brother's cpu with Windows 7 64 Ultimate. All the HDD checks turned out good and after 2 days I just decided to grab a new HDD. Turned out it was a bad Hard Drive. Do yourself a favor and save a lot of stress and headaches. Run and grab a new HDD and throw it in. At least you'll have a backup HDD if that wasn't it, but I'm guessing it will be.

Does it always freeze in the same spots? That's what my brothers did, at the splash window logo part. If its random.... the cpu isn't overclocked is it? I've seen it where you'll get random crashes and BSOD on OC'd machines.

8. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    I was getting random crashes, BSOD and it freezes in different location never the same. Again is even freezing while reinstalling it. So now i have a computer with no OS cuz it wont let it install properly.

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I would still look at the event logs for any critical errors. It could be that you do need a new HDD which would be bad. I would suggest if you want to go down to western digitals website and grab a copy of Data LifeGuard boot ISO, burn that to a disk, boot the disk and run the long test. That is what I did when I had issues also and it gave me an error code, you just google that error code and it will tell you what it means. In my case I had to get a new one.

10. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    I decided to reinstall windows using a disc that i downloaded from technet from my school, Windows 7 Home. So here is what i have done again, and whats now going on.

1. I ran WD Data lifeguard boot iso long test and pass with flying colors, no errors.

2. Was able to install windows and while in windows it runs perfect.

3. I ran Memtest and it pass 12 with no errors. He only has 1 stick.

4.Change all Sata cables.

5. The foxcomm came with an internal GPU so i disable it and installed a PCI express Nvidia card.

6. Ran a checkdisk and no errors.

7. Here is where its freezing now and only.

When the computer starts booting up, the first thing it shows it the Foxcomm logo, it will get stuck there for 33 secs. Then it will make it to the Windows Black Screen, where it will show starting windows and the four windows come together. At the moment those four windows are coming together it will freeze half way for 29 secs, then finish coming together, move to the blue screen and windows boot. While in windows there is no more freezing. But i dont get the booting freezing.

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    That is really hard to say for sure, I would redownload win7 again and do a full format of the drive, then reinstall win7. You can achieve the full format from a 3rd party boot disk setup but you can also use the command prompt from the win7 install dvd to do it as well. I believe to access it you have to first go to repair, then once you get to the menu of what you want to do click CMD or Command Prompt, and have to type in some commands.

command: format C: /fs:NTFS

that is what you enter in the Command prompt. Then you begin the setup, you may have to reboot after the format before you can install but that is normal so reboot if necessary. I believe that something on your hard drive is corrupt or causing issues that a quick format cannot remove so the full format will do the trick. It is essentially the same thing as the "Full format" option on the XP/2000 install disk.

12. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    i did that, is definetely not the hard drive issue anymore. It will install with no hiccups. It comes down to MOBO. Here is where i found it freezes on the first boot. When Foxconn MOBO goes to detecting primary drive on SATA port 2, it will get stuck there for 31 secs. Then it will go with the normal process of booting into Windows. It will get to the Black screen, where it will show Starting Windows and the 4 color windows come together, at the moment they are closed to be together it freezes for 29secs, then it boots into windows and i have no more problems.

I changed the SATA cables, reflash the BIOS, the a memtest, did an error checks, a WD data lifeguard, and all good.

13. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    well what I am saying is that maybe it is not a physical issue with your hard drive but an issue with remnants that remain on the hard drive or boot sector viruses that formats cannot remove. BTW Did you check the event logs for any "Kernel Power ID 41" Critical errors? That may lead to what can help you if there are any. Also check for any critical errors in the event log. I may be able to help you if you have the Kernel-Power error.

14. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    ok ill check that later on tonight

15. EneergE

EneergE MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    Full format just checks for hard drive errors. It doesn't remove the data completely. If you want to destroy the data, get something like DBAN. A "quick" single pass wipe with that should remove everything good enough. It may take an hour or so to complete, though. If you still see issues after that, I agree it sounds like a motherboard issue.

I don't remember you mentioning if it was a desktop or laptop rig, but if it's a desktop, you can try installing a different controller card and hooking the drive into it to see if the issue still exists.

Few other things you can try is disabling a few things in the BIOS that you don't need or is not required (temporarily).
    Remove all PCI(e) cards except for video.
    Remove any multimedia and usb connections, etc and so forth down to your barebone system
    Run IntelBurnTest in windows and see if it will freeze when you run it.
    If you have a PSU checker or another PSU, I would check that as well before putting all my money on the motherboard. Look and see if you have any extruding caps on the mobo.

The issue sounds hardware related.

16. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Actually yes the full format does, it does not write zero's to every sector like 3rd party tools but it seems to do the job for me when I had issues like this. Yes the other tools are better but depending on the size of your drive can take a very long time. I used driver scrubber boot and used the second option to write zero's 7 times and it took like 5 full days to complete.

17. EneergE

EneergE MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    http: support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302686 - Differences between full and quick format

18. CamT

CamT MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    type this into CMD and the restart: bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes it solves the freezing problem.

19. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Check your BIOS and make sure that SATA is set to AHCI also run a mem check or if you have more than one stick of ram try to install with just one stick and if it freezes swap in the other ram module and try again.

You could still have a bad hard drive the check disk and other disk tools will look at sectors on the disc surface but if the controller board on the drive is going bad it may not show on drive diagnostics