Frequent BSOD - OS out of date and trouble updating

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sciencerob, Apr 29, 2012.

1. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    Hi, I started reading MDL and i feel that you folks would definitely be able to answer the questions I have. I definitely like this site so far.

I started experiencing some errors awhile ago, frequent BSOD. I had someone help me with troubleshooting to the point that we found my RAM was not suspect. I haven't had help in over a week (I would link my original thread but I think there is a rule against that) so I started researching on my own.

Through a few guides on trouble shooting BSOD and the usual causes I found a tool called "Who Crashed". I found out it was the OS that was causing the frequent crashes about 90% of the time. I had not updated windows OS (windows 7 Ultimate 6.1-64-bit) in awhile so it makes sense.

I started to update windows (avoiding the WAT update which I have heard is the cause of much misery) and I got decently far. I updated to the point that the service pack 1 is now next to update with the prerequisite completed. However, now when i try to "find updates" through "windows update" it often crashes. When i do manage to get past that i start to download and then install the update. I never manage to get past downloading the update through the windows manager.

To work around this I downloaded the service pack 1 from the Microsoft website ( File name: windows6.1-KB976932-x64). Upon attempting to install I got an error. To resolve this I went to the microsoft website and used the System Update Readiness Tool. When trying to run this i received an error code which the Microsoft website said was not able to be solved by the tool. The error code was: 0x8007000D ERROR_INVALID_DATA The data is invalid.

So at this point the manual attempt of installation isn't working and I can't use the automated Microsoft downloader because that will cause a crash(has every attempt thus far). I'm not sure where to go from here.

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    1) check to make sure you downloaded the correct file
    2) check the Hash of downloaded file to make sure it is not corrupt by using MD5 Sha 1 tool

will go from there. Post back with any progress or questions

3. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    #3 sciencerob, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
    (OP)

MMm, I don't know anything about Hashes. Where can I find/use the MD5 Sha 1 tool?

Edit - To be clear it was the X64 not the IA64.

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  5. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    First time using this program but, i selected the x64 file which I downloaded(i used the download form the page you linked). I copied the MD5 to the hash like, and it verified. Did the same with SHA-1 and it also verified.

Edit - To be clear it was the X64 not the IA64.

6. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The tool you used will save you potential headaches in the future by checking a downloaded file of any sort so you can be certain the file is uncorrupted. Also helps to make certain you have not picked up any extra bits from malware along the way. Check Steven"s post and we will go from there

8. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    Just to keep you up-to-date: Disabled Firewall, ran into the same problem. Did the clean boot and attempted to install, same error. To be clear: support.microsoft.com/kb/929135---> "Determine whether the problem still exists" means try and install the service pack that I downloaded correct?

I have disabled all non-microsoft for the clean install and had the error reoccur. I am now moving on to disabling the Micrsoft processes.

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Do you have this much free disk 7400 MB space

10. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    '

I have 75gb of HDD space on my main drive.

11. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    Did step 2, no malware. I skipped part 1 because I did that but I went back just to cover my bases before proceeding. The hashes listed there don't match the files I downloaded but I know I downloaded the update from the official windows website. Should I redownload it? Could the values on the website you linked be out of date?

12. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Sorry was having Sunday dinner with the Mrs. .. If the hashes don't match from acrsn's link redownload to confirm and check..

13. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    Alright, currently downloading another copy. I proceeded to step three at the same time(no reason not to I figure).

sfc /scannow

I started it then walked away, to eat. When I came back it wasn't up. When trying to launch it again it launches and then closes really fast. Does that mean it did the verification process and nothing went wrong?

14. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    mmm, Restarted after running chkdsk c: /F (it returned no bad files - 1 misplaced(unknown) index which it said it placed correctly [ or something like that]). Downloading the windows update to verify... while it was downloading I attempted to open the sfc /scannow . It once again opened up, spout of some words (about 3/4 of the cmd was filled with text) and then closed before I was able to look at anything. Maybe I have to wait for windows sp1 to finish downloading? I did run it as admin this time (last time I didn't).

MAybe I'm going about it the wrong way? I go to start>Run> put in <<sfc /scannow>> and then right click>run as admin.

Should I try doing it from cmd promt or whatever that is?

15. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    yes wait until download is complete.

16. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    So i downloaded the file, it doesn't match what is posted on NGOHQ(Hashes don't match). They seem to be similar to the other file: is it possible the hashes have changed?

With nothing else going on I ran sfc /scannow . Does the same thing: pops up real fast, spits out a few paragraphs of information and closes. Doesn't even stay up for me to read more than one or two words.

17. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Shift +pause will stop screen so you can read it. Also we will have to get to the bottom of difference in Hashes but time for me to say goodnight here. Will look at tomorrow

18. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    #18 sciencerob, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    (OP)
    So I did that pause thing and it paused the screen and then reverified. After it got to 100% verified, it closed. NOt sure if it is supposed to do that.

EDIT: 5. Scan for inconsistencies by using System Readiness tool for Windows 7.
    Download » Execute » Scan for inconsistencies

This zipped file is corrupted. Won't unzip for me.

19. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
  20. sciencerob

sciencerob MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2012
    So last night, I managed to get all the updates installed (of course I skipped that WAT update I've heard so much about). I have SP1 and all updates(minus 1) installed.

After it downloaded and restarted, it crashed during the first configuration. During the second configuration it went just fine so I'm fairly confident its fine now. Is there any sort of integrity check I can do to confirm everything is fine?