Fresh install of Win8.1 BSOD after installing first batch of Security Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by doveman, Jan 17, 2015.

1. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I've already got Win8.1 Enterprise x64 running on my system but I didn't do a fresh install when I switched from an AMD to Intel motherboard and it's quite cluttered anyway, so I decided to do a fresh install now to see if it clears up a few problems.

I've only got one SSD and can't face running from HDD again but there's sufficient space on my SSD's 2nd partition (which I use for games) to create a VHD and install Windows in that, so that's what I did.

I've installed the drivers from the Asus site for my Z97-A and all drivers that Windows Update finds and it boots fine after that but if I then install just the Security updates (as opposed to the Updates for Windows) it BSOD on the next boot.

It's a pain using system restore to get it working again as well, as there doesn't seem to be anyway to access that from the Windows Boot Menu. I think I managed to once by pressing Shift+F11 but even after attaching the VHD with diskpart, it said it was unable to find the boot/recovery store (something like that anyway), so the only way I've found to do it is to use Virtualbox to attach the VHD and Windows DVD.

It's also a bit annoying that whenever I select the VHD from the Windows Boot Menu it has to reboot my PC and then it boots into the VHD. It doesn't have to reboot when I select the 'normal' Windows. I don't know if it's because I boot into grub4dos first and then load the Windows Boot Menu with this:

titleWin8.1 (SSD)
    unhide (hd0,0)
    root(hd0,0)
    chainloader/bootmgr

but I don't really see how that could cause it, so I guess it's just how Windows works.

Anyway, does anyone know if the KMS hack could cause Windows to BSOD after installing the Security Updates? I can't say exactly which hack it is I'm using, just that the ISO I'm using is "Win81AIOFeb2014.iso" and it offers KMS and non-KMS installs for all the versions of Win 8.1 to install.

2. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010

Attached Files:

3. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    #4 doveman, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  4. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Hmm, well I did the big 800+MB update and after that Windows fails to boot at all, I think the error referred to system32/cng.sys

I'll download a clean ISO of the August update and try installing from that next.

5. doveman

doveman MDL Member

Apr 22, 2010
    I used the clean ISO of Enterprise to start the install in Virtualbox and then booted the VHD and finished it off, first installing the Security Updates, then the Updates for Windows and then the drivers and it's all working fine now :)