Fresh Install of Windows 8.1 Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Simpuhl, May 1, 2014.

1. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Are you able to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro yet? or do you still need to "upgrade".

Is there a Windows 8.1 Pro iso?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012
    Nm, I found the ISO. but before I download it. can I do a fresh install or does it have to be an upgraded install?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Where have you been hiding ... :g:? The latest releases would be the updated ones aka Windows 8.1 with update, the (multiple-edition) one is holding Pro and Core. There are several threads with download links and magnets.

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Surely you can opt for fresh install :cool2:.

5. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012
  6. my2cents

my2cents Guest

It depends on "where" you downloaded it from. I used the Windows 8.1.1 Pro Technet ISO and I was able to do a clean install using the generic key provided. Then I activated my installation using my genuine Windows 8.0 Pro key. Worked like a top on my desktop (see specs)! I also did a clean install of an OEM laptop and that worked too! Now, since I am new here and there are many that are more familiar with how to properly word any alternatives, I will just say that if you used that well publicized "trick" to download the Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft directly, my procedure will not work for you.

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    That was a problem with that upgrade offer keys not with the ISO. You can always do a fresh install, question is whether you will be able to activate :g:.

8. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012
    I should be able to activate it with Microsoft Toolkit correct?

Edit: Just seen your other post (YES).

9. XRobRoyX

XRobRoyX MDL Junior Member

Nov 17, 2012
    #9 XRobRoyX, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
    You can for sure do a clean install with a Windows 8.1 iso, using your Win 8 license key.
    However you can not use the Win 8 key for the install. But you can activate Win 8.1 with the Win 8 license key.
    If you have an untouched iso, all you need to do is adding an ei.cfg file in the sources folder.
    By adding the ei.cfg file you do not need to use a license key for the install, just choose ignore when asked for the license key near the end of the installation.
    Then you can activate when ever you want. You have 30 days for evaluation.

Example on an ei.cfg file

[EditionID]
    Core (no tekst = choice to install either Core & Pro)( Core, Professionel or Enterprise)
    [Channel]
    OEM (Oem, Retail or Volume)
    [VL]
    0 (0 or 1)

Have a great day