Fresh install with OEM product key but without media

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by man0ir, Mar 11, 2015.

1. man0ir

man0ir MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    Hi there!

I just bought a Dell Optiplex on which I'd like to do a fresh install of the included OS.

I have no media, no restore partition, just the sticker which says:

I can't find any meaningful information about the mysterious "OA" edition or the X16-96076 ISO.

Do you know what they are?

Anyway can I download a Windows 7 Pro ISO and then use this product key. Does the 32 or 64-bit edition matter? Do I need to download a specific language?

Thank you! :)

2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. man0ir

man0ir MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    Ok you confirm what I was thinking of.

But looking for an ISO, which is way more difficult (if not impossible) now that Digitalriver is down, I found a specific Dell OEM ISO, which I downloaded.

So with this ISO, I've been able to just install it and don't do anything else.

I even have been able to install it on another Dell PC which has a Windows Vista sticker. But the "Information" window says that it's genuine and activated. Is it really activated? How is it possible?

Anyway thank you for your help!

PS: I can't post links because I haven't 20 messages yet, even those which I quote. It's a shame. :)

4. avoid

avoid MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2010
    Where did you get the Dell ISo from?
    Can you PM me the link?

I'm in the same situation with a lenovo that badly needs a fresh OS and my COA states X16-96076...o_O

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    The Dell dvd will be useless to you it will install the os but it will not pre-activate via oem:slp and it will also have dell branding.

@ man0ir, the only way dell windows 7 dvd would activate a dell vista machine would be if it has slic2.1 in bios.

6. man0ir

man0ir MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    Unfortunately I can't share the link with you. I would have definitely rehosted a Lenovo OEM ISO with you if I'd have found one there, but there's none.

Is there a simple way to have a look at the SLIC? I think the sticky topic about this has been deleted?

7. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    After Windows 7 was released, MS permitted manufacturers to use the newer SLIC 2.1 table on machines that were still being shipped with previous MS operating systems, Vista will activate against a SLIC 2.1 table and XP doesn't care.

8. man0ir

man0ir MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    Very nice thread indeed. :) I've been able to confirm that my Windows 7 is permanently activated, so I'm done with this, thank you.

Is there a way to mark the thread solved?

9. GladDeJanus

GladDeJanus MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2014
    Sorry for the bump, but I have several OptiPlex 980 machines, all with genuine Win 7 Pro OA key (sticker).
    I tried to do a clean install of the OS on one machine, but it failed. Windows told me the key didn't match the installation or something like that.
    I do not have the original installation media, so I used an AIO Windows 7 SP1 ISO.

Could you link me to the ISO you used to do your installation?
    In the end, did you use the key from the sticker?

10. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    You would need to install the version of Windows that is listed on the COA sticker to use that key. ie; 32bit or 64bit and Home or Pro or Ultimate etc....
    Then you will need to find a ISO of that version.

I personally would not use a AIO ISO, but find the original ISO for the version that you want to reinstall.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. GladDeJanus

GladDeJanus MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2014
    I tried to do that, but I can't find it anywhere.
    Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. It's the same ISO as the OP: X16-96076

I phoned Microsoft and they also told me I had to use the right installation disc.
    When I have the time, I'll try and contact Dell, but I don't get this... Why can't Microsoft just quickly activate it?! :( They checked and the key is genuine. The only problem is the PID does not match.
    Dell will probably ask money too...

Do you think ABR will work without using the original installation disc?

12. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    #15 Wazoo, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  13. GladDeJanus

GladDeJanus MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2014
    #16 GladDeJanus, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Thanks Wazoo. I came across the DellWindowsReinstall... website earlier today. I'll look into it a bit more.

But, another (important) question: Do I use my OA key? I want this to be perfectly genuine so I can (eventually) receive an update to W10 this summer.

14. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    I am hoping that the Windows 7 PRO that I installed using a HP OEM key and cert will be genuine so I can upgrade to Windows 10.
    In the third link they say that using an OEM key in this way is genuine but only time (after 29 July 2015) will tell.
    The choice is yours.

15. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #18 Skaendo, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  16. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You are right with this just a slight correction :D
    COA key is edition/hardware dependent but architecture independent.
    So you can use either 32bit or 64bit.

17. GladDeJanus

GladDeJanus MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2014
    So, I finally phoned Dell on the matter.
    It seems that you have to use the same Windows version AND bit version for the OA key to work.

So, if the device came with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, the key will not work with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.