Fresh installation of windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ramses71, May 15, 2011.

1. ramses71

ramses71 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Hello, I have a new Sony laptop with windows 7 preinstalled, but it's full of crapware. It's possible to do a fresh installation with a disk of windows 7 using my COA??? I will have activation problems???

2. choliscott

choliscott MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    I'm not sure if an OEM key will work with a retail install of Windows 7. You might need to get a hold of OEM media. I don't forsee any problems.

3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    why don't you just get rid of the "crapware"??

4. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    its possible if you use the same edition (basic, home premium, etc), doesn't matter if you use retail or oem media but you might have to phone through to ms for activation.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Forget this key, use one from stickies, install certificate & you are done. Nothing easier!

sebus

6. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    i've been using youruninstaller pro, first, then ccleaner to get rid of crapware on HP,DELL laptops and desktops

7. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #7 zahnoo, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
    If the machine is running well, why mess with success? jayblok is right ... just uninstall the crapware and use Ccleaner to [lightly] scrub the registry. Use autoruns to stop programs from automatically running when Windows starts. Br prudent here, laptop features are enabled by things that autostart. But you can use autoruns to restart any you've stopped.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    there is another free tool called pc decrapifier that i've used with sucess.

9. ramses71

ramses71 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Ok, thanks it all, then I will use revo uninstaller, and then ccleaner. Not before that I made ​​a backup copy with the sony utilities.
    In the future, maybe I'll try a clean install.;););)

10. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Use Backup and Restore to create a system image ....maybe two: before and after.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Back up key and cert. Then dl the iso from this site. Then do a fresh install. Even using those other programs for clearing out the "junk". It still does not beat a fresh install.

12. ramses71

ramses71 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Sure, but I found that some applications are not available in the Sony site but only by the installation of the factory.
    Damn Sony.

13. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    True, a fresh install will usually solve a multitude of problems. But if his system is problem free and all he needs to do is get rid of the bloatware, doing a fresh install and possibly losing all his tweaks and personalizations, is a bit extreme. A fresh install will also require all his favorite programs be reinstalled plus re-tweaking.

At this stage uninstalling a few program is the lesser of two evils.

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Fresh install is always better, that is what is wrong with most people they don't want to spend time reinstalling software e.c.t but at the end of the day hard drives fail and not every one does backup their working system. Sony applications will probably not be needed just drivers and I am sure they will be available to download.

ramses71, could always backup system or make recovery disks first before doing fresh Install to be safe :)

15. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    I don't dispute a fresh install is a good idea. It is and will always be a cure for variety of sins. What I find to be excessive is to automatically recommend a fresh install just as a matter of course. If someone has a system not experiencing any problems, say a new laptop that is loaded down with bloatware, but otherwise running fine, why would the very first action be: wipe the drive, install the OS, do whatever activation is required, install updates that are needed, maybe even install SP1, install all the other programs, tweak the OS to get it the way you want it and then maybe create backups and system images?

Why not just uninstall the bloatware/crapware first and see if that's satisfactory? If it's not, or you have problems you can't fix, then do the wipe and reinstall. If you do the wipe and reinstall first, you have no fallback position. Well, you can do a system restore with the OEM restore disk if you have it but what does that get you? You're right back to all the crapware and such. Or you can restore a system image but that will put back the bloatware too. Remember, no programs were uninstalled if you just wipe first so they;re still in the image(s).

The reality of the situation is the owner of the machine will decide what's best for him, or her, and that's the way it should be. I just happen to believe in a measured approach that leaves you an "escape route" of sorts ... a fallback position. I believe in options going forward, not taking the "final option" at the onset that will leave fewer options as you progress.

But that's the nice thing about the "P" in "Personal Computer" isn't it? We all get to decide our own fate. ;)

16. wzland

wzland MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    Forget the key
    Make sure the SLIC2.1 is at position and reinstall the OS by OEM DISC.

17. ramses71

ramses71 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    I don't have OEM disk, only recovery partition.:furious::furious::furious: However for now I created an image of the system and I have stored on an external hard drive.

18. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    The recovery partition and the OEM restore disk perform the same function. Creating a system image is one of the very best things you can do....very good move. With it, you can always revert to the previous installation as it existed at the time the image was made.

19. wzland

wzland MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    Just go and download a MSDN image.
    Burn it.
    Then you can use it as an OEM disc.

20. ramses71

ramses71 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Already downloaded, I will soon do a clean install.