Fresh installation with Windows 8 Upgrade Edition possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Surtalnar, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Surtalnar

Surtalnar MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2012
    Is it possible to make a fresh installation (incl. hard drive formatting through W8-DVD) if I buy a Windows 8 Upgrade (I currently have Windows 7 Professional)?

2. DM-moinmoin

DM-moinmoin MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Install Windows 7, Upgrade to Windows 8 and in the Setup you can format the partition. So you have a clean Windows 8.

3. psychok9

psychok9 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    #3 psychok9, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    What happen if I don't have Windows 7 installed (I love format often)?
    They ask my OEM generic key?

4. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    Install trial Windows 8, then upgrade and use the upgrade key... This was the method for Windows 7, and it might work on Windows 8 (I didn't test it though).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. psychok9

psychok9 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    They don't ask the Windows 7 genuine oem key?
    Thank you.

6. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    You just need to install the trial Windows 8... You need trial key for it, not an OEM key.
    Microsoft sees to have changed his activation policies though, the method may not work. It's still worth a try.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Just install the WRP which takes about 10 mins., and use the upgrade DVD(you need to burn it) to format the drive - windows team blog. However, AFAIK, the upgrade deal does not apply to OEM pre-installed windows. :p

8. psychok9

psychok9 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    WRP? What do you mean? How can they check that I've Win7?

9. brucelex

brucelex MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    From the articles I read, yes it is possible to do a fresh installation if you buy the upgrade.

10. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    In the purchasing process they will ask you to submit a legit XP/vista/win7 key(retail or COEM) to exchange for the win8 key.:D

11. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    so, i have a key from a xp home edition version
    do i've to install xp and then upgrade to windows 8? x86 to x64, is it possible? or can i use rp and then upgrade it?

and when upgraded, can i re-install it after (clean install) 1000 times?

12. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Just use the WRP X64 for purchasing the Upgrade, because WUA will not ask what version/architecture you want to download, they check out what you are using and provide you with the same thing(e.g. if you use WRP en.US X64; then you get win8 PRO en.US X64).

AFAIK the upgrade key is a retail key, you can reinstall indefinite times or change machine indefinite times, but you have to stick to "1 key 1 machine" license term and go-thru re-activation that's all.:D

13. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    thanks FaiKee for your explanation :D

just one more thing, since my main language is not en-US, i could not get myself a copy of my language by default when upgrading? (RP does not have it) if you know what i mean (sorry, bad english) :eek:

14. psychok9

psychok9 MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2009
    #14 psychok9, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
    WRP = Windows Release Preview? Then, I need to install Windows 8 two times in the future? WRPreview version and Upgrade version?
    Without backup the hdd of course...
    I need it.IT version, it's a problem?

Thanks a lot!, and sorry for my english.

p.s. I've found that Microsoft sell Windows 8 for 14,99€ if you buy your PC from 02/06/2012 to 31/01/2013. How can they check that I've bought my pc in this date range?

15. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I found this info somewhere some time ago, maybe this can help to some.. it may be helpful...

16. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Since you want a X64, but your XP is X86, the only way you could get a X64 is to install WRP X64; too bad WRP does not have your local version, get a LP. :D

btw, I know that vista & win7 keys are good for both x64 & x86; but I couldn't remember if XP is the same, maybe some other guy can clarify on this? :p

17. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    1. Yes WRP=winreleasepreview, from MS official point of view, you need a windows(XP to WRP) on the drive for the UpGrade DVD to work, but tell you what, download a MSDN of your required version(it would be leaked after Aug. 15), when you get your upgrade key after Oct. 26, try it on the MSDN image, if it works, you can forget about the UpGrade DVD.(it probably should work, although I am not 100% sure).

2. I don't know if there is a local WRP it.IT, if yes, install it to run the Upgrade purchase, but if there is a MSDN it.IT leak, try your key on it like I said above.

3. That 14.99Euro deal needs you to register with MS providing details of purchase including the COA key, they will email you back a upgrade code after they checked that everything is legit. :D

18. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    I believe the steps were mixed-up(don't know where you got it):
    1. After finish purchase, download will start.
    2. After download, an icon will appear on desktop, and a windows to ask you if your want to "install now" or "install on anopther drive".
    3. If choose "install on another drive"; you can choose to burn to ISO or USB FD; don't worry, anytime you double-click on the icon, the same choices appear, you can burn as many ISO/USB FD as you want, as long as you have the icon on desktop.
    4. When boot from DVD, on the "choose partition" screen, bottom right is a "drive options" button, click on it and there will be the format disk button, where you can go on format the drive and do a completely clean install. :p

19. charlesmagne

charlesmagne MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2010
    Sounds too good to be true. Thanks!

Although, I wanted to skip installing a previous version.

20. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I installed Windows 8, with the $14 upgrade key, using a RTM disc, with a clean install on a completely blank HDD (diskpart > clean), and was left unactivated. However, there is a registry thing you have to do (mediaboot or something) and some other command(s), and when done, did let me use my upgrade key and activate Windows :)