Fresh Windows 7 Install Questions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by subterminal, Feb 16, 2018.

1. subterminal

subterminal MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2018
    Howdy folks!

I'm getting ready to do a fresh windows 7 install and have a few questions.

First, I recently came across this website as a source for downloading Windows. Is anyone familiar with it or able to vouch for the validity of the website? tb.rg-adguard(dot)net

Second: Once I install windows 7, I was planning on using Daz's Loader to activate windows and then let all the updates download. However, from what I understand, KB971033 will undo the Loader activation. Is there anything I should do from the start of the installation to avoid this? Or do I just run the loader again and reinstall it? I saw mention of a few other tools. Will I need those? I guess I'm just curious how I handle that update.

Thanks for your time,
    Cheers!

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Adguards TechBench Unlocked windows iso's are downloaded directly from MSFT servers, so they are 100% official (you can verify the checksums).

And no, the WAT update kb971033 doesn't affect/undo the Loader's activation.

3. subterminal

subterminal MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2018
    Thanks for the reply! So, all I should have to do is download the Win7 Ultimate from that site, install, install Daz Loader, and I'm all set?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Should work, as long as you install it Legacy BIOS/MBR.

5. Docfxit

Docfxit MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    #5 Docfxit, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    The Win7 download website doesn't work tb.rg-adguard(dot)net replacing the (dot) of course.
    Where can I download Win7 Ultimate including the current updates? One that I can do a Repair Install.
    Thanks,

6. Docfxit

Docfxit MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    The Windows 7 Image Updater works great. It doesn't include all the MS updates. I tried the Simplix Pack. When I run install it asks for me to select the drivers to be installed. Does the Simplix Pack not include the drivers for the newer PS's. The Windows 7 Image Updater did include the correct drivers.
    Thanks,

Docfxit

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I really ask myself what is the purpose of posting in three different threads and why the info in all three is different?

8. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    #9 mehdibleu, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    i don't understand, you seemed to say that Windows 7 Image Updater didn't work when testing it in the concerned thread few minutes ago and you're saying the exact opposite in this thread which dates back to yesterday.
    edit : i suppose what you meant is that it worked but only for one edition.

9. subterminal

subterminal MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2018
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I remembered this comment and now have a question.

I just built a new computer so I will be going with windows 10 for the Coffee Lake support. However, I'm going to install windows 7 first so that I can do the upgrade to Windows 10. My question is:

Do I need to have Legacy set while I install windows 7, then change it to UEFI prior to the clean windows 10 install? Also, what is the significance of needing Legacy for the windows 7 install?

If applicable, I will be installing to a SATA SSD and have a second SATA HDD. Z370 board with 8600k.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If you plan on using DAZ' Windows Loader to activate 7 SP1 to be able to establish a free HWID for 10, you should use legacy bios/MBR. once established a HWID or generated a genuineticket.xml it doesn't matter if you use UEFI/GPT or Legacy BIOS/MBR.

11. subterminal

subterminal MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2018
    Great! Thanks for the super fast reply.

12. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    This depends on how your board's bios is set up. If you have a CSM option on your anonymous Z370 board, then you could boot windows 7(pro should be used here) in UEFI mode and install it on GPT partitions. Then you can activate with a KMS tool and then perform what Enthousiast described.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Yeah I believe many new motherboards come with CSM option enabled in default. As far as I know that means you can install Win 7 to them without the changing anything in BIOS.