Fresh Windows 7 SP1 "checking for updates..." issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kopitaneskita, Nov 24, 2015.

1. kopitaneskita

kopitaneskita MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    lately i had to fix few PCs by installing fresh windows 7 sp1 x64. for some of them i used simplix pack to update windows 7, but few users don't want to use that tool and i've been told to set up windows to download updates directly from windows update in control panel.

everything goes well, windows is activated, LAN drivers installed to latest versions, internet speed normal, get updates from other microsoft products is also installed from microsoft site and turned on, BUT here is where the problem starts - when i click to check updates for windows (since it's clean installation) it's checking for updates forever, green bar is moving, cpu usage and ram starts to increase, but checking for updates never finishes. i tried with disc cleanup, restarting pc several times, but no success. it keeps hanging on "checking for updates".

does anyone know why this is happening and how to slove it?

thanks.

2. peck1234

peck1234 MDL Member

Jan 16, 2010
    You gotta wait it out. A fresh install needs to build the windows update caches. Takes about 10 minutes in some cases.

3. kopitaneskita

kopitaneskita MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    bro, i know that... but we don't talk her about 10 or 20 min, it stays that way almost an hour and still "checking for updates" continue, nothing happens... that is not normal.

4. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    if you had looked before posting you would see that it was already discussed. look it for in this forum. it is on the first page.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion MDL Junior Member

May 13, 2014
    u have to wait buddy...mine works after 9-10 hrs

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Waiting 9-10 hours for WU to find updates is unacceptable

Can you imagine how long it would take to repair machines in a shop if you had 10 Windows 7 machines to update?

7. kopitaneskita

kopitaneskita MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    i didn't notice that thread at first sight.

but it's just describing the problem, with no actual fixes (except offering simplix pack or wsuoffline).

8. cengizhan

Jul 29, 2009
    if you are looking for a fix, then i have to say that there is no fix. build an updated image or use simplix which is also in this forum to update your system.

9. kopitaneskita

kopitaneskita MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    another try with fresh install won't help either, right?

i've been searching similar issue all over the web and i found that some users fixed it by installing IE11 first before checking for updates.

also on the thread you've been pointing out, one user wrote that he fixed it by unhiding installed updates then running windows update again, others were pointing out for some KB update from microsoft that should eventually fix this issue.

now i'm confused should i waste my time trying those options first or to with offline update with simplix or wsusoffline.

10. zero2dash

zero2dash MDL Member

Aug 30, 2012
    New installs take at least 10-15 minutes (if not more) for me, and that's on fast internet (100Mb/s down which I assume checks 'faster').
    I've seen it take 30-45 minutes in the past, however.

11. kopitaneskita

kopitaneskita MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    that was in the past, i also didn't have problem in the past but i have now.

it won't find any updates even after hour or so.

12. kopitaneskita

kopitaneskita MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    ok, tried with IE11 install first, again no luck... still endless "checking for updates"... wtf!?

13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Try to install the latest IE cumulative update first.

14. kopitaneskita

kopitaneskita MDL Member

Oct 5, 2010
    i gave up in the end... tried with third clean/fresh install and i was still getting endless "checking for updates...".

now for me it's confirmed that is a microsoft issue, don't wanna bother with it anymore.

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I just do a reboot after 30 minutes, it will install some crap, start it again, reboot, more crap, run again, reboot more crap. It is actually doing something, just cheesy and you cannot see.

16. cengizhan

Jul 29, 2009
    if you dont do manual update and let the windows do it background also works. sometimes this is faster than manual update.