Fried ram

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by lumpy4900, Apr 9, 2011.

1. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    Just put a copy of xp on an old sony for a guy. Every thing went well. Turned off the computer and restarted it and the screen was blank. All I got was a no signal message. Turned it off and noticed a bad smell and opened it up and both 512 sticks of ram were to hot to touch and are now shot. Question is what happened. I would guess the mother board. Everything was as its been. The only change that was made was a optical drive. Dont really want to keep cooking memory so I thought I should ask if there is anything else I can do besides tell him to get a new computer. Its an old sony about 9 years old.

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    In the last year I've been asked to refurbish laptops similar to your friends. Given the cost of a decent quality Windows 7 laptop these days, it's just not worth my time to work on machines of utterly dismal performance. How much is your time worth and will your friend be satisfied with, oh, a 1GHz Pentium III CPU, 256MB RAM and a 20 or 30GB hard drive? Does it even have an Ethernet card or Wifi capability?

Time to get a new computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lumpy4900

lumpy4900 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2011
    #3 lumpy4900, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    (OP)
    It's a desktop pc.p IIII 2.6 intel, 1g ram. Will hold one hard drive and one optical drive. Was problems before so I am guessing mother board failed. I personally would just get a new computer. I have never seen one melt down ram before. Just hard to tell at this point what else is fried. I like to fix them if they are fixable but I think its time this one is retired. Just was curious what besides the mother board could cause it. If one stick went bad could it cause both to get hot?
    And yes it has ethernet and wi-fi. Thats what I used to do updates before it decided to bite the dust.

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...