From Win 7 Bios Mod to Win10. Is it possible a clean installation ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by secaspider, Jun 2, 2015.

1. secaspider

secaspider MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2009
    I have 2 Computers modified with Bios Mood to Dell and a Asus brand. I have the win10 upgrade showing in my desktop bar.
    I would like to installwin 10 when it will be on market or when I can downloaded, following the upgrading method from Microsoft. But at the same time I want to install from zero, not to do a upgrade over win7. Will it be possible to do it?. I mean I havent a license number just the one which came with the license from the programs to install it from here, when you modify the bios you have to insert the brand license......
    So Ifd I format the hard disk Microsoft will give us a license key with the ISO or image previously downloaded.?

Thankl you in advance and sorry for my english.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    From what I understand the procedure, OEM (means OS Pre-Installed by Manufacturer) will still be under jurisdiction of that OEM and not Microsoft. Also, Microsoft will not delivers new Product-Key, the old one from the original install will be used. Just expect that you'll get only maximum an Trial Activation if you could legally download the Update from Microsoft.

What you really expect, is nothing else to legalize an pirated version, and/or, in that extend, fool Microsoft to give you a new legal Product-Key. That will NOT be happen AFAIK!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Wrong it is upgrade from usb for windows 7 8 and 8.1

4. secaspider

secaspider MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2009
    Sorry I dont understand this comment. What it is wrong? The fact tupgrading to win10 installing from USB?

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No a member had posted clean install, which it is not it is an upgrade.

6. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    With regard to an upgrade as opposed to a clean install and the Win 10 upgrade being offered does it require that the SLIC 2.1 BIOS mod AND CERT match the motherboard manufacturer.

Reason I ask is I have 2 PCs used purely for testing both are gigabyte motherboards. One is modded with a gigabyte slic and cert while the other with a dell slic and cert. Both work fine on Win 7. But I notice it is only the one modded with the gigabyte slic and cert that has the win10 upgrade icon, the dell modded one hasn't got it.

So will the upgrade work fine on machines with a BIOS mod, as oppsed to working just as a trial?

7. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Nobody will know for sure until July 29th.

8. secaspider

secaspider MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2009
    Exatly like my a dell and a Asus Mod. The 2 of them with the icon win10 OK. but we ´ll see. Lets cross the fingers and I hope we can to do a proper clean installation

9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Cali4niaWK

Cali4niaWK MDL Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Yeah im very interested to see myself if the Modded SLIC BIOS with a matching certificate will get a free copy of Windows 10. It's really nothing different than an OEM motherboard or computer system and I know a few people who have got the free windows 10 upgrade message on there OEM computers, but the real question will be answered around July 29th if it will upgrade.

11. lucid

lucid MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    With regard to my earlier query I worked out why one of the PC's didn't get the notification. I had to add a reg key and set it up in task scheduler then run the check your PC for compatibility. It seems there was some incompatibility with the CPU that meant 64bit Win 10 wouldn't work. It presently runs 64bit Win 7, so if I installed 32bit windows 7 I would get the update notification as the issue only affects 64bit installations of either Win 8.1 or win 10.

12. IceXcube84

IceXcube84 MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2010
    I had exactly same problem with my modded asus slic bios. The Windows 10 upgrade window did never show up but after a change from Asus SLIC to HP it showed up.

Asus P8P67 LE B3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1 7601 Service Pack 1 (x64)
    HPQOEMSLIC-MPC_V2.1

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    There's a big difference between a free activated copy and a genuine copy:D

14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is their difference?

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  16. AngelP

AngelP MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    My opinion,Well tell them that the update of a SLIC to Windows 7 with Windows 10 is positive and works well but there is something very important that has not taken into account, Windows 7 has another type of architecture within the BIOS HDD partition would be the Win7 BIOS Legacy (MBR) and the Win10 UEFI BIOS (GPT), therefore when they update via Online, Microsoft and checks it performs an adaptive system, ie installing Windows 10 in the machine with Legacy BIOS support leaving the HDD partitioned into Legacy (MBR), where they are blocked or lost boot for any failure will have serious problems for a repair start and will be required to perform a clean installation in UEFI (GPT) mode, with this they will automatically lose your license pirate had with Windows 7 and will have to hack with the Toolkit or KMSpico, unfortunate but true. :eek:

17. jonikang

jonikang MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    Well, i had a mod bios win7.. and upgraded to windows 10 for free and activated. no issue. But i have not tried to reinstall.

Did i answer the question?

18. secaspider

secaspider MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2009
    You can reinstall it without any problem, since its´s been activate it your copy of W10 just skip the moments it ask for your key. When the system finish the installation your copy automatically will be activate it again.
    In other words. The process from Win7 ( I cannot comment from win8) is upgrade from 7 to 10 and do a clean installation with Win10 only usuing the tools fron USB or from a copy previously downloaded.

19. makin.ditch

makin.ditch MDL Member

Feb 23, 2014
    If I understand correctly what you are saying. Windows 7 can install in UEFI system, so I do not see any reason M$ would invalidate your license for Windows 10 if you had upgraded from Windows 7 on an UEFI system, in fact. If you do an upgrade install on a MBR hard drive it is possible to do a reinstall in UEFI mode and retain your system activation.