From Win10 to Win 7 on new laptop....

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ThomasMann, Jul 27, 2016.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Laptops that come without OS usually have an expensive disadvantage, the rest has Win 10.
    So, a basic question: Is it possible to wipe the disc completely and install Win 7? Ot is it not as simple as that?

Thanks

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    As long as you can find drivers, and if the machine uses UEFI, you use a modded 7 or enable CSM in the BIOS, then it should install fine

3. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Drivers are the only problem. Desktop apps are fine with both OSs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I have a Acer desktop that came with Windows 8 and the only way to install Windows 7 on it would be to roll back the bios to an earlier version and I did not want to do that, Is a modded 7 a way to get around that and if so could you point me in the right direction.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Why would you need to roll back to an earlier BIOS?

Just look for Murphy78's up to date Windows 7 ISOs, it includes UEFI

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you,
    so basically what I need are the drivers. Is there a point in asking which ones? Or would the answer be something like 83?
    If not, where would I find a list and where the correct drivers drivers, would somethuing like Speccy give me the information that I need about "my" computer, so I can start collecting the drivers on another computer.
    Then install first the drivers or Win 7?

If you get the feeling I am not to savvy with computers, you are correct, on the other hand, I have not found any other way of learning... ;)

Thank You for your help, I appreciate it as always

7. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    #7 sml156, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    The bios blocks anything less than Windows 8, It has nothing to do with UEFI

Edit:
    I did try Murphy78

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    An earlier BIOS I could get from my Motherboard supplier?

For my desktop, I picked the parts myself, for a desktop I cannot do that. What should I look out for?

9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Can You give the model number. :g: Something I've never heard of before and I'd like to learn about that.

10. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Brand: Acer
    Product Name: Aspire M3420
    SNID: 23903692392

I bought the computer new from one of the big box store's, Not sure what year but it was when Windows 8 first came out.

If you look on the Acer website for my model it was originally built for Windows 7 but they updated the BIOS to blacklist the Windows 7 installer. If I rolled back the BIOS to an earlier version I could have installed 7 and then upgrade the BIOS after installing and it would of worked fine.

Years ago when I searched on how to install Windows 7 I only found one post on the Acer forums that explained it.

11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Use one of the USB2 ports instead of the USB3 ports on the MOBO :confused: Not sure if that Model has UEFI but if it does disable secure boot in the BIOS. Nothing I Personally know of with American Megatrends BIOS on the A75 chipset would blacklist a OS. The upgrades I've installed were only to allow newer Gen CPUs to be installed. And Yes Bat learned and then re-learned to upgrade the BIOS Before upgrading the CPU :eek:

12. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I used a USB 2 - 4 gig drive and did use the USB 2 port. I disabled UEFI.

Acer blacklisted the Windows 7 installer from completing the install.

13. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

i wonder why they would do that?

14. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    #14 sXpTv, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    wow this is totally stupid.. Maybe you can trick the installer by moving the Windows 7 installer.wim to a Windows 8 PE based installation disc/usb stick?

Or install Windows 7 inside a Virtual Machine that uses the physical hard drive as vhd.

15. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    #15 sml156, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Probably because Microsoft told them to, Or gave them a wheelbarrow full of money.

When Microsoft releases a new OS they want as many people to use it as they can and will do anything in their power to bump up the numbers.

16. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Sounds more like secure boot interfering... Is the BIOS giving you an error message?

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    They likely don't want to provide any kind of support for older operating systems.

On another note, it's kind of disgusting what blocks OEMs put into their firmware. The worse one I've heard of is a newer HP laptop that comes in two models, one with a M.2 SSD included, and the other without. Both use the same motherboard and thus, both include M.2 ports. The one without the M.2 SSD however has a BIOS blacklist that prevents the installation of any M.2 SSD. Wtf...

I have a $1000 Acer gaming laptop atm that's a joke also with BIOS settings. I've examined my BIOS file and there are a ton of fun and useful settings, but of course they're locked away. And of course Acer went through fun times making sure I can't unlock them either (UEFI variables locked, flash registers locked, Insyde's SecureFlash enabled, and even some low-level signature check that prevents me from simply flashing custom firmware to the chip directly with a SPI flasher). I've never been so upset with a BIOS until this laptop... Going a little off-topic though :p

On another note, why does Windows 7 in UEFI need a newer (unofficial) image? I thought the official images could do UEFI if you moved some files around?

18. acid1996

acid1996 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Acer BIOSes are lacking of CSM mode option so installing Windows 7 is nearly impossible (it is possible if you remove MS standard generic VGA driver). But I wouldn't recommend to try this way since its kinda risky since booting in the safe mode is impossible without MS generic VGA driver.

On other hand, there's always a option to switch to Legacy Bios (in Acer BIOSes) but you know formatting to MBR is mandatory.

19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012