Front End/GUI Wrappers for (5) different PowerShell Scripts for Windows 10/11 Debloating and more

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Davidgamerthumbs, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Davidgamerthumbs

Davidgamerthumbs MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2020
    For the offline script. It is just a JSON file? https://github.com/DrEmpiricism/Optimize-Offline/blob/master/Configuration.json
    I briefly read the project. All it says is to edit that file to configure right? There are like 24 items.

Are you looking for a toggle? For each option "True" or "False"?

2. Single GUI for Whole Project with Toggle for every option will be great + if it will support any language iso.
    Godhand as Dev of OO use Sapien Powershell Studio for this project.
    i also have a slimmed down bat script of same OO project > Win10 Tweaking Scripts

3. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    I for one, am pretty adept at using this (O-O) script, it is my OFFline script of choice (as is farag's for ONline servicing)

MSMG, GodHand and now farag are all apparently working on GUIs for their respective solutions, the first two have been a long time coming...
    ... but appreciate I am not the one that has to put aside the time to achieve this outcome.

It just seemed to me that like farag's your (Front End) approach might be a viable option for users that want to use the O-O script as is..
    but can't, due to certain knowledge limitations.

... I see that farag (in his thread) is currently asking for some help with some issues regarding his script...

4. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    It sounds interesting to create another GUI wrapper/Front End for Offline work Windows 10 Debloating

If it just creating a GUI and button to run the main PS file after editing the JSON file I think it should not be bad to create. BUT there are many files (cab and msi I think I saw) so I need to take a look at the whole project first and run it in a VM a couple of times to see what the project does. I read it edits ISO files too. So I need to understand that too.

I think I should learn more and more PowerShell scripting. But you mentioned that the MSMG, GodHand and farag are moving away from PowerShell and coding their own in pure computer programming languages GUIs C#.

I was told from a friend in IT that I should learn PowerShell because that is how Windows OS can get easily configured and automated. In C# there is a library called PSObjects that can use PowerShell objects alongside with programming. I still need to learn this too.

I think it might be interesting to learn PowerShell more. But the whole idea of this Front End/GUI Wrapper was to build a 'radiobutton form builder' to create options from reading simple text files so anyone could add their own options to the program themselves via adding to or removing from text files. This way I don't have to come back and add new options. Therefore the program is end-user maintainable, fixable and shareable. Also, by creating a PowerShell script, it is now portable and shareable without the GUI wrapper

So there are a few things that I need to learn to become more involved. It is interesting, so I will think about it.

5. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    I had some time today to try that project. I think I understand the project. It modifies original ISO file and creates a customized one.

There were dialog prompts during the process. It took awhile in a VM.
    When finished I think there were 4-5 dialog boxes. I guess it needs to extract the ISO and change options in sequence? Or maybe that is how the developer wrote it. Or this way is easier to maintain and understand.

Anyways, I am not a PowerShell scripter yet. I can understand some. The Sapien Powershell Studio is quite a tool from YouTube video tutorial I saw. There is a learning curve.

But what 'I think I can do' is make a GUI front end for JSON file and run the main PS file from the GUI...."I might do it" as this is a interesting project that was recently updated.

6. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    This is what I came up with. I dont know what all the options do. I just broken down the JSON file to make it editable
    https://benchtweakgaming.com/2020/11/01/optimize-offline-gui-tool-front-end/

7. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
  8. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    I have been busy with school: exams and projects.

I have been learning new stuff in school that has been challenging.

I will come back these probably in the next few weeks.

9. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    Last night I was thinking about Optimize Offline.
    I found some gaps in my knowledge. It looks to be pure PowerShell. That means if I wanted to make a FULL GUI "I think" I would have to recode everything from scratch. The reason is because I don't know how to interface PowerShell script running while running an outside wrapper program. Basically, when a PowerShell command starts or stops, I must filter its output through an outside container (wrapper) and create a Powershell command for input to resume. There maybe no point. That is why GodHand wanted to build it 100% in C# code. That means I need to learn PSobjects for using PowerShell objects in programming or other ways. This is just initial thinking...

For the online debloaters, I plan to allow for editing the methods/functions/PS calls directly in the new form window. That means for each radiobutton choice, there will be a button next to it to open the text PS command and directly edit it. I am not sure if this can be done now that farag uses arguments. Old style scripts like CTT would work I think as each radiobutton has its own function command.

10. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    .. appreciate you having had a look at it
    (thinking...) terrific option, going forward

11. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    @Davidgamerthumbs

Thought this may be of interest to you as the CTT script (no longer maintained?) is based on the same...

https://github.com/jonpalmisc/win10-quick-setup

12. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    Chris Titus Tech (CTT) just released a 'Toolbox'. It is a GUI with buttons to essential debloating script and many options and for 3rd party installs too. It is nice looking with a simple well layout interface

He moved on from just debloating.

@drew84 I just looked at it (Jon Palmisciano). Looks like a good candidate to replace CTT.

13. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    This part is partially done.

14. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    That's a nice and simple front-end for the JSON creation for Optimize-Offline.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    Thanks GodHand. You have a terrific project with Optimize-Offline.

I am new to programming. I am in school for it currently.

I created the front-end for O-O based on requests from drew84 and mdl052020.

16. farag

farag MDL Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Windows Forms in 2020. OK. He doesnt know about WPF )) Also please update wrapper for the 5.3 released today.

17. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    Great farag! I will try to find time this week to update it to 5.3!

I have very little experience with WPF. Maybe in the new year I will recode everything to WPF and in C#.

I learned VB and Windows Forms this year and got used to doing everything in that. I will upgrade soon.

18. Davidgamerthumbs

Oct 25, 2020
    I will try to finish my personal things today... right now.

Then I can update to v5.3 today I hope.