Fully Erasing a HDD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, Oct 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    Can anyone suggest a good program to fully erase a HDD, which I can boot from a CD/DVD/USB Flash Drive? I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop computer and I had some sort of virus on the boot block because Windows 10 kept on rebooting after stating there was some sort of error message that Windows was incorrectly installed, then I turned off the computer, and it kept doing this.

Then when I turned on the laptop again, I pressed down the Function F2 so I can access the BIOS, and I couldn't. I left it alone for two days. Then I remembered I purchased a USB Recovery Flash Drive from Toshiba when I first purchased it three years ago. The instructions said the when I put the USB Recovery Flash Drive, I should hold the Function F12 key when booting. A menu came up to restore the Toshiba laptop to the original settings, one option allowed me to erase the internal HDD complete, it took about 26 hours to accomplish a full erasure, and allowed me to reinstall Windows.

Can anyone suggest a similar program, so I don't have to install Win 8, then reinstall Windows 10? I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions and/or comments.
    Than You.

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Not attempting to say one is better over the other, just another option to consider

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I make WinPE myself with what I need, do not use homebrew downloads

5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Good for you. Good you know how to do it.
    But for me or anyone who don't know how to, Strelec's WinPEs are a relief.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Not really that difficult to learn?
    Especially with great projects like MistyPE or Win10PE SE

7. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Make a boot usb thumb drive by: formatting using DiskPart command in windows command prompt with Administrator privileges.
    >clean
    > create partition primary
    > format quick fs=fat32 label="Windows"
    >active assign letter="J"
    Then extract the content of your "windows.iso" file to the thumb drive or just copy the content of you´re windows install media to the thumb drive.
    by installing windows delete the os partition with windows installer.
    and install windows.
    ;)

8. neoazrael

neoazrael MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2011
    Dban is the best for me.

9. an0n107

an0n107 MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2017
    +1 for KillDisk, worked at a Government facility and we used KillDisk

10. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I'd just boot into WinPE & run diskpart.
    "select disk 0"
    "clean all"
    If you just use the command "clean" it's real quick (it just wipes the partition structure). "Clean all" zero's the whole drive (your 26 hours).