Future installation of RTM - would appreciate your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pooksahib, Aug 11, 2009.

1. pooksahib

pooksahib MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    #1 pooksahib, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Hello. This is my first post although I've been reading this forum for some time now. Usually with a sense of awe at the expertise on show and an envious wish that I had the same knowledge. As it is, I'm merely a novice with a very limited grasp of PCs although I have been able to teach myself how to do a few things e.g. I've updated my BIOS and installed one of the Win7 evaluation copies, things I could never have done before discovering forums such as this one. It's not always easy to get a full understanding of new topics such as 'SLIC2.1' and there are some things that I'll never understand but I'll have to live with that.

Anyway, the reason for my post is that I need some clarification. I'm currently using Win7 Build 7137 which expires next March and will then, I believe, shut itself down every 2 hours. Now that the RTM is out, I'm downloading the links kindly provided by colinzim (http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7954)
    My intention is to create a bootable DVD but NOT to install the RTM just yet. This is because:
    a) My current Win7 works fine.
    b) There seems to be a lot of confusion over which 'Loader' to use.
    c) I've read in another thread (http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7986?page=8) that some people are waiting for OEM keys which they confidently predict will be leaked once Win7 is in the shops.

As I understand it, you do not need to have a SLIC2.1 ennable BIOS when using a Loader. On the other hand, I believe that proper keys will only work with SLIC2.1. Is that right?

It seems that there is no ASUS (my mobo) SLIC2.1 just now but my thinking is that, before Win7 goes on sale, ASUS MUST issue an update or there will be folk buying Win7 and not being able to install it. Does that make sense?

So, by my own logic, there's no point in me installing RTM when I have a working Evaluation Copy. Better to wait for an official BIOS update and for a leaked key. Is my logic sound?

Thanks to you all.

2. neomatrix

neomatrix MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Dear Pooksahib,

as u said u have read the threads so far and learn many things, so u may have read that SLIC 2.1 is the best method for activating win7.

about asus SLIC 2.1, off-course they will do it. most of the mobo's drivers have been added to the site for win7.

about waiting proper OEM key, so at present the key everyone using is good & I m sure more 90% users on this forum are using that key as most of us are using ultimate.

3. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #3 Lenmaer, Aug 11, 2009
    Right, but loaders will emulate the SLIC 2.1 and install the proper key corresponding.

Not yet for ASUS, but you can use a DELL, HP, MSI, etc... SLIC 2.1 instead.

Depends, once your bios is modded, you can easily change the product key with a not blacklisted one. Also bios mod is offline activation, so it'll always be activated even if the key is blacklisted, you'll just not pass the WGA check.

I recommend you to read this thread http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7126 most of your questions are answered there.

4. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    "patience is a virtue" :)

5. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    If you are satisfied with a previous build stick with it. However there is nothing like a fresh brew every morning.

There is another choice. Install RTM but do not activate. You have 30 days x 4 grace periods or 120 days to wait for those keys and the BIOS update.

BTW, how are you sure you will get an official BIOS update that will include SLIC 2.1?

6. Eazy Ace

Eazy Ace MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    i have a question about that too!
    i dont know if my bios has SLIC 2.1... but i found one here but didnt install it yet...

So, if my bios has SLIC 2.1 i just need to type in the oem-key and its fully activated? so without any loader patcher cracker etc?!

And if my bios has no SLIC 2.1, i need to install a loader that emulates SLIC 2.1?

is that correct?

7. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    verify you have what version of slic you have using tools like everest etc.

yes you are somewhat right. you need the matching certificate and oem key to your slic.

yes you need 2.1 slic emulator if you dont want to buy the retail version or you dont have slic2.1.

cheers:)

8. Eazy Ace

Eazy Ace MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    okay thanks fpr the answer!
    so i thinks i'll flash a slic 2.1 bios and add those certs, type in key, and thats it:p

9. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks Lenmaer. Are you saying I can flash my BIOS with info intended for those other brands?
    Are there product keys available at the moment then?
    Afraid I don't really understand "Also bios mod...WGA check". Could you clarify?
    Thanks for the link, it's excellent. I'm surprised I missed it.

Hi motion55. I'm not sure, probably because I don't fully understand SLIC2.1. I thought it was something all BIOS's had to have if Win7 was to work hence all mobo makers would have to issue an update. I suspect this is flawed logic...

10. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    I would say if you're unsure, it's better to ask someone to make you a bios containing SLIC 2.1 here:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/forumdisplay.php?f=25

11. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
    #11 Gigahertz20, Aug 11, 2009
    Pooks,

SLIC 2.1 and other SLIC versions are only used by big OEM's like Dell, HP, Acer....etc. They use this method to mass activate Windows on the computers they sell. If you have a custom built computer, your BIOS on your motherboard does not have a SLIC table. This is why people mod their BIOS with a SLIC table (along with key and cert) making it appear like one of the big OEM computers.

Once you install Windows 7, the 2 most popular ways of activating is using a loader which emulates BIOS OEM information needed to activate Windows 7, or actually mod your BIOS with a SLIC 2.1 table. If you are a novice, or you do not want to risk bricking your motherboard by flashing it with a bad BIOS image, I would stick with a loader like the one below:

7Loader Version 1.3
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7986

After installing Windows 7, just use the loader above and click "Activate Windows" and you are done! In the future, if the loader above is patched, just launch it again (so make sure you save it) and click on the "Uninstall 7Loader" button and it will remove it. Then you just have to come back on here and download a new Windows 7 loader to activate it again.

I have been using a Vista loader for the last year and everything works great. The only benefit of actually flashing your BIOS with a SLIC 2.1 table is most likely you will never have to worry about activation issues. But the Windows 7 loaders will last a fairly long time before they are probably patched by Microsoft. When they are patched in a future update, just uninstall and download a new one. Most of the Vista loaders were not patched until SP1 came out, and then new ones came out right away, then SP2 came out, and some loaders didn't work anymore, hackers fixed them, then they worked again.

You have to ask yourself this question, Is it really worth taking the chance of using a 3rd party tool made by a random person to mod your BIOS with a SLIC table when you can just use a loader like the one I linked to above and have it work fine?

If you really know what you are doing, and there are verified results that your motherboard's BIOS will work with a SLIC 2.1 table, then it should be fine as long as you follow all the directions.

12. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks, G20. And to everyone else kind enough to offer advice. Once I'm in the mood, I'll do the instal with a Loader. Just to be sure - would such an installation allow you to receive Windows Updates (once they start making them)?

13. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009

Of course, even if MS detected your installation was not genuine, they will still let you update your pirated OS. If they stopped pirated copies of Windows from updating, there were be viruses and trojans all over the place, that would also spread to people with legit Windows...so MS just lets everybody update.

14. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Great, thanks again. Had a bit of a panic earlier today - I was up to part 26 of the files I referred to in my opening post, logged on to do the rest and the rapidshare links were all deleted! Fortunately, the Hotfile ones allowed me to finish the download.