Future installation of RTM - would appreciate your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pooksahib, Aug 11, 2009.

1. pooksahib

pooksahib MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    #1 pooksahib, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. neomatrix

neomatrix MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Dear Pooksahib,

as u said u have read the threads so far and learn many things, so u may have read that SLIC 2.1 is the best method for activating win7.

about asus SLIC 2.1, off-course they will do it. most of the mobo's drivers have been added to the site for win7.

about waiting proper OEM key, so at present the key everyone using is good & I m sure more 90% users on this forum are using that key as most of us are using ultimate.

3. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #3 Lenmaer, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    "patience is a virtue" :)

5. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    If you are satisfied with a previous build stick with it. However there is nothing like a fresh brew every morning.

There is another choice. Install RTM but do not activate. You have 30 days x 4 grace periods or 120 days to wait for those keys and the BIOS update.

BTW, how are you sure you will get an official BIOS update that will include SLIC 2.1?

6. Eazy Ace

Eazy Ace MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    i have a question about that too!
    i dont know if my bios has SLIC 2.1... but i found one here but didnt install it yet...

So, if my bios has SLIC 2.1 i just need to type in the oem-key and its fully activated? so without any loader patcher cracker etc?!

And if my bios has no SLIC 2.1, i need to install a loader that emulates SLIC 2.1?

is that correct?

7. silvergate

silvergate MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    verify you have what version of slic you have using tools like everest etc.

yes you are somewhat right. you need the matching certificate and oem key to your slic.

yes you need 2.1 slic emulator if you dont want to buy the retail version or you dont have slic2.1.

cheers:)

8. Eazy Ace

Eazy Ace MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    okay thanks fpr the answer!
    so i thinks i'll flash a slic 2.1 bios and add those certs, type in key, and thats it:p

9. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks Lenmaer. Are you saying I can flash my BIOS with info intended for those other brands?
    Are there product keys available at the moment then?
    Afraid I don't really understand "Also bios mod...WGA check". Could you clarify?
    Thanks for the link, it's excellent. I'm surprised I missed it.

Hi motion55. I'm not sure, probably because I don't fully understand SLIC2.1. I thought it was something all BIOS's had to have if Win7 was to work hence all mobo makers would have to issue an update. I suspect this is flawed logic...

10. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009
  11. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thanks, G20. And to everyone else kind enough to offer advice. Once I'm in the mood, I'll do the instal with a Loader. Just to be sure - would such an installation allow you to receive Windows Updates (once they start making them)?

12. Gigahertz20

Gigahertz20 MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2009

Of course, even if MS detected your installation was not genuine, they will still let you update your pirated OS. If they stopped pirated copies of Windows from updating, there were be viruses and trojans all over the place, that would also spread to people with legit Windows...so MS just lets everybody update.

13. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Great, thanks again. Had a bit of a panic earlier today - I was up to part 26 of the files I referred to in my opening post, logged on to do the rest and the rapidshare links were all deleted! Fortunately, the Hotfile ones allowed me to finish the download.