Future Of Broadband??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NinetyNine, Mar 20, 2018.

1. NinetyNine

NinetyNine MDL Novice

May 23, 2011
    So, I have no idea where in the Wide World Of Googles to even ask this question....But....

I have Limited DSL @ 1.3Mbs or less. Its all that is available and will NOT be getting better. AND I pay $50 a month for this awesome service. (Centurylink)

My local cable company (Spectrum?) will run cable to my house for $5000.00

Any ideas about the Longevity of Cable internet in the coming years??

I dont want to make a huge investment just to find out Satellite WIFI was just around the corner or something.......

Or to find out that the new Laws mean that the Cable companies are throttling or capping usage.....

What Would YOU do???

Any input accepted Thanks!!!

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PastTense

PastTense MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2018
    What is the current speed and data caps of the Spectrum service?

How long do you expect to live in the house?

How much data do you use now and how much would you use if there were reasonable speeds and no data cap?

As Joe C said 4 G is an alternative (perhaps in conjunction with your DSL), but most cell phone providers have low data caps for the "unlimited service". If you can get 4G service but it is weak look into external antennas and signal boosters. See Howard Forums for the best discussion of cell phone issues.

But if true that the DSL is your only option I would certainly pay the $5000--as I expect it to be at least a few years for the new technologies to arrive.

4. NinetyNine

NinetyNine MDL Novice

May 23, 2011
    Understood, I love Gaming and, download Every Linux Distro that comes out just for fun, and of course stream Music, TV, Movies, When Possible.
    Unfortunately this is all Becoming very tedious, and often not even possible when my speeds dip to .6

My main issue is 2 Windows Boxes that, when they decide to update, basically shut down the network, and this is a small business so these machines are imperative.

I am already a Verizon customer, but at my residence they use a US Cellular tower, which restricts my usage to Voice and 1X So I would need to Change Service and honestly
    so far Verizon is the best of 2 evils on that front.....

I am looking into What service I would be tapping into at the main road, And this is where my questions are......Fiber or what I will see....

They say no data caps, but really? Everyone is throttling and using soft caps now...I'm reading about Browser Script injection and other rotten practices...

We will be here for quite some time, and it is 5 Acres of rural property, so I am guessing it will increase the value to have the service, But again

That is as long as some new space bending Tech is not just around the corner......

5. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #5 tonto11, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Couple of questions
    how far away is the road
    is it line of sight, or blocked by trees or hills

in the 1990s a bunch of guys in silicon valley had all sorts of neat 802-11b networks going on in the hills
    where they lived to link back to the office, the band is probably swamped now because everyone's got a wireless router hammering away
    but in those days I tested a link of 12 miles with a sat dish on one end and a cardboard horn antenna lined with aluminum foil at the other
    when it came to apply it there was a hill in between we couldn't get over so it never really worked

google nocat net wifi to start looking for what they did I don't know how much of this is left

Rob Flickenger's book is still out there http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596005023.do
    he's the guy who pulled it all together. Google him too, you'll have a blast.
    ...T

6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    this http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/cse574-08/ftp/rural/#7.3 seems to sum it up very nicely.
    i dunno how old it is, or if there are new developments out there, i seem to remember reading
    that google planned something with balloons, worth a look, i think. also it might be interesting
    to do a little wardriving looking for wifi; maybe one of your neighbors made the investment
    already, and if you pay $50/ month to him, he might be inclined to let you share his wifi.
    it is always better than what you got now..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012