FYI: Holy WGA Batman!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Poser, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Poser

Poser MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Last night, my little one accidentally reset on of my boxes... and upon restart I was shocked to see a WGA prompt.

Initially I thought perhaps I had been compromised... so I checked all port logs and packet transmits, seeing nothing suspicious. Nor did event viewer describe an unusual activity.. No updates either.

Needless to say this box is used for testing, and does not possess critical info.

I am running a 72xx build string on this box... and this is where it gets interesting:

Winver: shows appropriate build string with evaluation terms... ending 3/2010. However, WGA message was that my eval period (assumed 30 days) had expired. I also got the Non WGA smackdown.

Here is the kicker... (I had patched this with RC tolken dat and ipk...and all was well, so I thought) -rearm command worked and reset timer. Eval period ends 6/2010 according to -dlv. Ironically... timer still shows 30 day counter.

Anyway, no reduced functionallity... and I plan to upgrade to RTM on this box when .iso is made available on TECHNET or MSDN

Thought I would share this with community. Maybe this was showstopper that scrapped this build as RTM candidate.

2. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007
    If you connect a computer running Windows 7 to your refrigerator, WGA will make your milk go bad several days before the expiration date.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ennio

ennio Guest

Good one. :)

4. ennio

ennio Guest

This one is good, also. :)