GA-965P-DS3 DMIScope BIOS Wipe Out?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tommiy, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Actually posted this in the hardware section as well but there is no one viewing there.....

I tried DMIScope on my DS3 today and it locked up while it was testing the DMI. I had left it sitting for 20minutes before rebooting. Now its as dead as dead as dead....take out the ram and video and no beeps....tried the floppy but it doesn;t actually try to boot it....also tried a boot cdrom with flash895 on it set up in autoexec....no go...

Before I pull this apart and throw away the last mistake of moving away from ASUS does anyone have any idea's about somehow getting it back to life?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    yeah weird....tried bootable floppy...nothing...bootable cd nothing...usb doesn't even start....guess its dead....adverse reaction to dmiscope...far to the extreme... bios chip on it too...only 8 legs...awful odd...

and yes are suppose to have dual bios recovery etc etc etc....doesn't appear to do squat.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    thanks for looking Yen.

Been doing some digging around here...its a virtual bios and its fully automatic by the looks...there is no mechanism to get into it at all. Seems that according to the very limited documentation that what is suppose to happen with xpress bios rescue is that the first time you boot the motherboard saves the bios to a protected block of drive space. Then if it ever detects corruption it is suppose to reload from this protected block.

Gigabyte actually state that this reduces cost and increases relaiability because there is no need for a floppy...so by that I'm assuming that means there is no floppy drive recovery capable from the boot block...because its only looking for recovery from a HD.

Now, I only have SATA drives in this thing...they are both in AHCI mode...so unless the bios boot block is intact nothing will be capable of reading from these in the first place because there is no driver loaded...so...if it don;t post how does it read from a SATA ACHI without the drivers which only get loaded after a post....

There is little to no documentation here....pathetic documentation actually....

Thanks for trying though :)