Gadgets under Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by julian2012, Dec 19, 2012.

1. julian2012

julian2012 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    I know windows 8 no longer supports gadgets. However, I like using them. They have an advantage of tiles, when it comes to weather, because you can place several on your desktop. So I installed 8gadgetpack on my laptop running Windows8Pro. It works beautifully and I have 4 weather gadgets on the screen. (I must say this Windows8Pro installation was a upgrade from Windows 7. Now when I do the same on a desktop running Windows8 Basic, two problems: 8gadgetpack only installs with 1 page of gadgets available instead of 3 and the weather gadgets do not update. This puzzles me. Why would there be such a difference? What I am looking for is a technical explanation; I do not care for alternatives. Thanks in advance.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Go inside your Weather tile, go to the Location you saved and want to pin.. pull up the Commands Bar (Right click) and click Pin o.o, a lot of applications have/will have this feature, you can pin stuff from inside apps onto your Startscreen, so you can have multiple tiles of the same app with different content. Just saying.. you should at least know about it before you start thinking you need gadgets, while you actually don't because Tiles offer the same functionality in most cases, ofc you can't have input boxes and whatever on a Tile though :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. julian2012

julian2012 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks, Shenj. I do not have the function Pin o.o. when I right click. So I cannot clone my apps.

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. julian2012

julian2012 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks, Shenj. That was not helpful. I do not get what you get. Besides, I'd like those tiles on the regular desktop, not on the MetroTile desktop.

6. chevell

chevell MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    #6 chevell, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    8gadgetpack installs only 2 pages of Gadgets for me despite what it shows on the web site, and it appears that I have all the gadgets listed on the web site.

If you only have 1 page then the servers were down during your download "common problem there" and you should download the 8gadgetpack again.

The weather gadgets not updating is a problem for everyone using 8gadgetpack, but with no fixes for this anywhere. I even tried to allow sidebar.exe through the Windows firewall to no avail. The weather gadgets only seem to update when restarting.

I agree, Apps do no replace gadgets no matter where you pin them.

7. julian2012

julian2012 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    Thanks, chevell. No, the servers weren't down. I am using the SAME downloaded file which I used on my laptop. It gave me 3 pages of choices on the laptop, but gives me only 1 on the desktop, no matter how hard or often I try. I believe this has to do with the fact that the laptop was an upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8; and the desktop was a clean install of windows 8. Like you say, there must be security or firewall issues that prevent more. But hopefully a guru will read this and have a solution.