Gadgets will NOT install at all...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, May 15, 2011.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

Win7 Home Premium x64 install:

I can no longer add any gadgets to my gallery. Whatever items that are already in the gallery work just fine though. Don't know when this started, I'm thinking about the time I added SP1 a week or so ago. I spent a few hours searching, tried the regsvr32 trick, the reinstalling java trick, logging on as a new user trick... nothing works. I can DL a gadget and "install" it with no errors, but it never gets added to the gallery. I have my UAC set to zero and all admin privileges enabled.

TIA!

Russ

2. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    #2 ricktendo64, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Look in "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets" see if you see the installed gadget

You could also use 7-Zip to extract the Gadget to a sub folder of the same name, add .Gadget to the folder name and copy it to "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets" this way the gadget is installed

As for registering the sidebar once again you can run

Code:
    sidebar.exe /RegServer
    regsvr32 sbdrop.dll
    regsvr32 wlsrvc.dll
    Here are some other switches the sidebar can run

Code:
    /uninstallGadgets
    /restoreGadgets
    /showOnlineGallery
    /startTaskman
    /addGadget
    /UnregServer
    /RegServer
    /autoRun
    /stopHidingGadgets

3. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    #3 RASelkirk, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I actually tried 7-unzipping to the named folder (I f'ed it by reading too much into the structure), this does work when done correctly. I'm just lost when it comes to why it quit working as intended. After an "install" w/o any errors, the gadget never makes it to the gallery or to the folder for that matter. The timing makes me think "upgrading" to SP1 killed it...

Russ

4. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    I'm only saying because that's about when this "hinkiness" started.

Here's another weird one (I sure miss my XP!): I always get this dialog box when trying to rename a folder or anything for that matter. Doesn't matter which button I click, either one makes the msgbox disappear and I can then rename OK... And Win7 is better how?

Russ

Attached Files:

5. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Agreed there, i believe a fresh intall is imminent. Did you thinker with any system cleaner or admin privileges.....win7 is much better than XP no doubt.

6. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    This is a new Toshiba laptop that came with "Home Premium". First thing I did was to back up my key & cert with ABR, then format and partition, then install from a universal burned ISO (checksum matched) and then restored my key & cert. I am dual-booting XP because I have a very expensive wide-format vinyl printer/cutter that is no longer supported and will not run under Win7 AT ALL. Trouble is, there are no disc drivers for XP so whenever I reboot into XP I have to turn off AHCI in the BIOS or get a blue screen.

I do have a seldom-used second desktop that came with Win7 Pro, could I essentially "swap" the OS's between these two or are they keyed to the boxes? That way I could use the VM feature on my laptop.

Hmmm, I've booted off the CD and don't see a "repair" option... HTF does one do a simple repair on Win7? I've only had this freakin' mess for 6 weeks now and it's already in the cr@pper. I've run SFC /scannow and it never finds anything wrong. Most things work as expected. I've got backups, but really don't want to do a fresh install. Have I told you how much I miss XP lately?

Thanks!

Russ