Gaming laptop memory upgrade, adviced needed.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ausernamenoonehas, Jan 4, 2016.

1. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I recently got a MSI GT72 Dominator Pro gaming laptop.

Seeing as this is supposed to be a top of the line gaming laptop, I was thinking of going all out and upgrading the RAM with some G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 modules.

Upon doing some research I've found that two slots are easily accessible by taking off the backing. But the other two memory slots are buried underneath the motherboard, which would mean full disassembly of the entire laptop.

From my understanding memory modules are paired, and the two unaccessible modules under the motherboard are some type of generic Samsung branded RAM.

From what I've been reading the G.Skill Ripjaws are very good, and increase performance, especially with gaming. But they wouldn't be reaching their full potential if paired with some generic modules?

Putting in 2x G.Skill Ripjaw modules (though giving me more memory) wouldn't necessarily increase performance, and would be better suited if all modules were of the same make? Is this how it works?

No use wasting a couple of hundred dollars on RAM if that be the case, and really need to replace all modules, and thus disassembling the entire laptop, which scares the crap out of me ...

:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Use CPU-Z to see the specs of your installed RAM and then buy compatible RAM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I have an Acer Aspire 1 laptop and I know that adding an SSD and RAM will increase the performance.
    But I'm faced with the same dilemma; Taking it apart. If it was a customer laptop, I'd push through and get it done.

4. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #4 Antilope, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  5. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Most of the time the other memory is accessible via removing the keyboard or palm rest. MSI doesn't always follow these conventions though. If you do take it apart, find a guide for it and be very careful with connectors.

It should be noted that memory speed only makes a difference in graphics performance only if you are using CPU/APU graphics (as the system memory is also the video memory). Performance with a dedicated GPU will be negligible.

Another thing to consider is think about how much RAM you will actually need. On my gaming rig I'm always running Chrome with like 30+ tabs and playing music, all while running a game, and depending on the game my memory usage running all that tops out just over 8GB. I wouldn't consider spending money on RAM for that machine as I know I'll never need more than 16 (which is what it has already).

6. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
  7. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Taking it apart is the easy part.

Putting it back together and having it come out even (no screws or parts left over :D ) and it works (with no smoke :eek: ) when you turn it back on. That's always a plus. :D

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    A easy way to handle that is to use a Video Camera to capture to whole process of disassembly in first place. Secondly, use a digital camera to take a photo from (special) each connector, cable etc. which need to be disconnected and/or removed about it's location and removed parts. That would help in case of problems (remembering) by reassembly of the device.

It's just a simple controlling of your own action which makes the whole job more easy! And if everything are fine after done, you could also post that procedure online for to help others, on this forum and Youtube alike!

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    I use a cell phone and do exactly that when I'm repairing electronics equipment. I also use paper masking tape to make wire tags so that things go back together correctly.

10. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I resort to the cellphone camera on rare occasions now. I've done soooooo many repairs... and I tell you what, F*CK HP! (and sometimes Dell, Inspiron 15 anyone?) I'm staring at a G60 with contempt cuz I need to get to the screen to diagnose backlight/inverter. (If you don't know: the two screws to remove the bezel dip completely below the chassis when the lid is open, and in order to get to it you have to remove the entire screen assembly to get those screws out, which means ~30 screws to just get to those two.)

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    For PCs, I rarely have to take photos myself, but for things like guitar amps, the boards sometimes have wires attached to them. Then, it helps to have a record of where things go.

12. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Ah yes, and especially if the board has been modded/repaired at some point. I've seen some sketchy stuff that somebody for some reason thought looked good enough to return to the customer.

13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The GPU really matters in a gaming system. Instead of just upgrading the memory you can as well look for a system with a better GPU.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not easy for an rare Laptop, as the one the OP is talking about!

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For PC's, I really don't mind, for Laptops, special those never opened before, it's just precaution! Better safe than sorry!!

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    I totally agree. :)

17. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    I've been trying to get as much information as possible and came across the following on the MSI forums ...

That was on December 5/2015
    By December 13th
    A MSI Rep answers his post
    The OP replies
    MSI rep says
    And that's the last we hear from anyone in that thread ...

A little disturbing reading how the OP pulled the whole thing down, installed new ram, and had to start all over again
    :eek:

And the MSI rep telling him to pull it all apart AGAIN and install the stock memory modules before updating the EC :eek: x2

See if that was me, I'd be a nervous wreck by that stage, in need of some medication from Dr Jack Daniels.

Maybe that's why the OP never returned ...???

18. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Or he got it fixed. DDR4 is still relatively new so compatibility might be an issue. It might be that the laptop just doesn't like that particular RAM. I run into this from time to time, and it's why stores normally carry at least two brands (or at least they should).