Gateway LT20 (Acer AOD250 clone) OLD FART needs BIOS help

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Hometheatremaven, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Hometheatremaven

Hometheatremaven MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2010
    I have a Gateway LT2044u (LT20 series) that is really a rebadged Acer AOD250.

The Gateway's BIOS is labeled v1.10 and dated 9/4/09. It came with Windows 7 starter edition installed and it's now activated.

It runs fine except Windows 7 reports it's running at 1.33 GHz instead of it's advertised 1.66 GHz. This is due to the well known ACPI BIOS problem that ACER's new BIOS v 1.26 has corrected. There is a modded version of that BIOS (and a v1.27 also) on this website.

I am an Old Fart who is new to all this and don't want to brick my wife's new netbook. But I want it to run as fast as it was designed, so please don't tell me to just leave it alone.

I have a few newbie questions:

1. Since I can't find Gateway BIOSs to download, is it safe to install the ACER v1.26 BIOS that corrects the Windows 7 speed problem?

2. Is there a program that can save my current BIOS in an .fd format before I try to update it? Will the SLIC DUMP Toolkit program (which I have) save it? And if so, how to do it?

3. Is there an advantage to using a modded BIOS from this website over the official one from ACER? (Remember Windows 7 starter edition was preinstalled and is already validated). If I update my BIOS to the official ACER v 1.26 BIOS, will I somehow lose my Windows 7 license?

4. What is the difference between the Acer AOD250 v 1.26 and 1.27 modded BIOSs on this website?

Thanks. David

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #2 911medic, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    Your best bet is the official bios. If for some reason you cannot activate after, use the modded. If the machine has a 2.1 SLIC, you shold be fine..how about uploading a RWeverything report for us..or post a link to the acer bios and I will see if it contains the necessary SLIC already..Run the SLIC DUMP TOOL and see if a SLIC exists..

After viewing the Acer bios, it contains both. I believe the 2.1 is referenced though. You should be fine with the upgrade if the bios is right for the netbook..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hometheatremaven

Feb 5, 2010
    Does this mean if I use the official ACER BIOS (or the modded one), that I'll have to reactivate my already installed and activated Windows 7 or could I lose my Windows 7 license?

And is there a program that can save my current BIOS in an .fd format before I try to update it? Will the SLIC DUMP Toolkit program (which I have) save it? And if so, how do I do it? This is just in case something goes wrong, I'll be able to restore to original.

Please, anyone can answer. Thanks again.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    If you have a certificate and serial installed, the bios will allow the activation to remain if you have a slic in it..The factory bios is the original..I dont see your confusion of problem??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hometheatremaven

Feb 5, 2010
    Sorry and thank you for your help. This is all quite new to me and I just don't want to brick my wife's netbook.

That's why I'd be more comfortable if I knew how to backup my exisiting BIOS.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    did you try thebackup tool?? you dont know till you try..

Flas**t likely has a command to backup existing also..

7. Hometheatremaven

Feb 5, 2010
    I tried to update the Gateway BIOS with the Acer BIOS update, but flas**t.exe would not do it since Gateway BIOS is KAV80 and Acer is KAV60.

8. Hometheatremaven

Feb 5, 2010
    #9 Hometheatremaven, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks Geoff.

I have a question: You said "open the exe" and later you mentioned running the "InsydeFlash.exe".
    But in the Acer downloads the files are DOS=flas**t.exe and in Windows=kav60127.exe. Thereis no InsydeFlash.exe file.
    Please explain, as I don't want to brick my wife's notebook.

Thanks.
    David

Geoff: Nevermind. I see that InsydeFlash.exe is within the extracted kav60127.exe file.
    God, I hope this works. I was always told to do BIOS updates in a pure DOS boot disk environment.

9. Hometheatremaven

Feb 5, 2010
    Geoff:

I did it and it worked perfectly. It had to reboot a couple of times to install new device drivers, but after that everything's fine and my wife's machine now runs at full speed.

Thanks again so much.

Old Fart