[General] Offline Windows Registry Editor

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Win7_User, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Win7_User

Win7_User MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2010
    #1 Win7_User, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    I was directed to ask my query here, so here goes:

I have a few WinPE/BartPE discs based on XP Pro SP3 that I use, and I wanted to add a registry editor (preferably free with a nice GUI) to them that can load/edit XP/Vista/Win7 offline registry files (not talking about .REG files here). Does anyone know if such an editor exists?

2. dunc1234

dunc1234 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    hi

having a problem trying to do this myself and found this answer (which i have not tried yet) hope its of help

Boot up in a parallel copy of XP. - presume as well as doing this part as a slave, bartpe will do just as well

Open REGEDIT , do this through a4 file management or cmd

If the information you want to access was in HKEY_CURRENT_USER: Highlight HKEY_USERS, choose "Load hive" from the File menu, open

X:\Documents and settings\<UserProfileName>\ntuser.dat.

(where X: should be replaced by the drive letter corresponding to the secondary slaved drive you have mounted from the nonfunctional computer.)

When asked for a name, choose "OldProfile" (or whatever other easily remembered name you choose). Access/backup the keys you're interested in. Once you're done, highlight the "OldProfile" key, choose "Unload hive" from the file menu.

If the information you want to access was in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System or in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software: Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, choose "Load hive" from the File menu, open

X:\Windows\system32\config\system

or

X:\Windows\system32\config\software

(no extension). When asked for a name, choose "OldSystem" or "OldSoftware" (or whatever). Access/backup the keys you're interested in. Once you're done, highlight the "OldSystem" or "OldSoftware" key, choose "Unload hive" from the file menu.

3. Win7_User

Win7_User MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2010
    @dunc1234: Been away, so saw your reply just now. Thanks for the tip, but the load hive option is something I knew about already. However, I am looking for a portable registry editor that can handle offline registries of XP, Vista and Win7 systems, both 32 and 64-bit.

4. Compo

Compo MDL Member

Mar 29, 2011
    You could try regeditpe.sourceforge.net.

5. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    You could also try regalyzer

Sorry I'm not able to post the URL due to the board rules

6. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
    Ok

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...